Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

New 1998 S70 Owner and enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1998 S70 Owner and enthusiast

Hello all, I am the proud new owner of a well maintained 1998 S70 GLT. What a beautiful car to drive. Starts like a tank off the line but is fast with a little momentum, well balanced and great in the corners. Runs well and didn’t need a thing. My only major problem is my wife keeps trying to steal it………..

I do however have a few questions to determine if some of the small probably age related gremlins should be worked out or just left alone.
  • Squeak in the dash! Not taking it apart.
  • Squeaky brakes, I’ll grease them soon.
  • The ECC lights blink for 20 sec and then go off so something is a miss, but everything works fine - heat and cool?
  • When turning the wheel at startup it makes a lot of noise like rubber on rubber. And at the very end of the turn radius there is some noise.
  • A slight noise coming from one of the belts I think the serpentine – I’ll replace it soon, Timing belt was done 20K ago.
  • At highway speeds the engine is very quiet except for a slight Jet engine sound when a little throttle is applied.
  • Finally the 1st to 2nd gear shift change is very aggressive it almost bangs into gear even when going slow?

Again these are all nit picky things. I’m sure all could be just lived with; after all it’s not a new car. Have others had similar issues? If they are simple enough to fix then I’ll do it.

Thanks for your input
Greg

Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregman
I do however have a few questions to determine if some of the small probably age related gremlins should be worked out or just left alone.
[LIST][*]Squeak in the dash! Not taking it apart.[*]Squeaky brakes, I’ll grease them soon. [*]The ECC lights blink for 20 sec and then go off so something is a miss, but everything works fine - heat and cool?[*]A slight noise coming from one of the belts I think the serpentine – I’ll replace it soon, Timing belt was done 20K ago. [*]At highway speeds the engine is very quiet except for a slight Jet engine sound when a little throttle is applied.

1) there is a fix on how to fix squeaks in the dash.. DO a search in the 850 section. I know member TECH posted it a while back, I think we all have some sort of squeak in the front.

2)Are your brakes OEM Volvo or are they aftermarket ones? Most people go with the Volvos or Akebonos and either are known for not squeaking. I would try and grease the back side if the pads and see if it reduces or gets rid of the squeaking. If they are aftermarket, then you might have to deal with the squeaking!

3) If your ACC has a stored code, then you will need to have it scanned and pull the codes to see what's going on! The dealer or some independent Volvo shops have access to pull those.

4) I would check the tension on your belt. You might just need an adjustment.. But it doesn't hurt anything to replace it either.

5) The jet sound you are hearing is probably the Turbo Spooling up on acceleration!