Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Potential New Volvo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New Volvo Owner

Hi guys. I dont own a volvo...yet. Im looking at buying a 1998 S70 w/ 109K on it. The guy wants 1600 for it. Its in pretty good condition the driver seat is leather is cracking and it appears like everything works. Problems it has it broken windsheild, the steering rack is leaking and the abs, trac off lights are on. Also their is a light in the bottom left corner that looks like a light bulb is also on. He says it means a bulb is out. Car runs smooth and a/c and everything blows cold. Also the passenger side tire is worn completely down on the outside of the tire and the other 3 have a lot tread left on them. So I know something caused that tire to wear abnormally and fast. Could it be related to the steering rack? Sorry for all the questions guys, I just dont want to buy it and have to pour another 2k into b/c I cant afford that, is there anything I should look for when buying one this old w/ these miles? I know these are good cars and thats why Im interested in the car.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 PM

well i dont know if this is going to help, but i have 1998 s70 GLT and i have ABS and TRACS OFF lights on too. had brake discs changed about 3,000 miles ago and everything works fine. it stops good, and thats all that matters. and those lights dont bother me at all! dont know about the bulb-like light, never had it on in my car.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ABS light means the module has to be replaced. You can even find a company on ebay which charges like $90 to mail them the unit, and they will repair it and mail it back to you. You have to take it out your self. Not that hard, there are instructions on how to do that if you search. I wouldn't drive the car with that light on.

The bulb reference is that one of your exterior lights are out. Read the manual, and figure out which one is out. Start the car up and then look to see which one or one (s).

The age of the car dicates that you need to find out what had been done before this on maintanence. First is the timing belt, tensioner, water pump job. At that age if it hasn't been done it needs to be immediately.

PCV same thing.

Check car for turbo leaks from the lines. Check for radiator leaks at the seams. Both are for sure going to need replacement.

If you get parts then install yourself, it's not expensive. At that price, I would buy the car as long as you realize it's going to cost to maintain it.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM

Finally, you certainly, will spend $2000 on it getting it up to snuff. You can't buy a $1600 car and not expect that.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM

I'll be doing the work myself. I just need to know what needs to be done to it now, so I dont hurt the car and the rest I'll work on gradually. Doing the work myself Im still looking at 2K to take care of the essentials? By, essentials I mean the timing belt, rad if needed, water pump and the steering rack? Ohh and its not turbo. Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez! Spend $100 and get the car checked out by a competent volvo tech (not at the dealer) BEFORE you buy it!

That worn tire would bother me; you could be looking at collision damage; maybe even a bent frame!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM

Aight guys had the car checked this morning, $80 later he said that the frame and suspension parts look good and no sign of collision and I also saw that both front tires had outter and inner uneven wear. He said it probally just due to the rack throwing the camber off b/c its catastrophic failure, the floor had a puddle of fluid on it just from the time it was on the lift. It did have scraps on the sub frame but where I live thats common from pulling in and out of parking lots but nothing seems damaged besides a strut mount that needs replacing. He said other wise the car looks fine besides some normal maintenance stuff and that its been sitting for a while. So as far as the rack goes I think rock auto has the lowest price so far any suggestions? And what do you guys think about the assessment? I think Im going to buy it today.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Also I searched through the forum and what all do I need to know to make sure I get the right steering rack for my vehicle, like some number on the chassis or something like that?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Volvo family. BBA Remanufacturing on the ABS module. Search for them on ebay. I used them. Reputable and easy to work with.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Thank you sir. Im sealing the deal after I get off work. Im going to repair it myself, I found some threads on what to look for and Im an computer engineer so Im going to re-do it better than factory so I dont have this issue again. I hope it is the ABS module, its simpler and cheaper than sensors and troubleshooting. I was looking at used steering racks but from what I read Im not going to want to do that again and they all have about same mileage as my car so Im not willing to risk it, Im going reman.