Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this service?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Power Door Latch Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Power Door Latch Repair...

POWER DOOR LOCKS NOT WORKING PROPERLY:
As the signature shows, we have a '98 S70. The power door latches stopped working properly. They would lock in the auto/switched/remote mode, but would no longer unlock. So, turn the key twice to unlock, only one of two of them unlocked, had to reach to the door to unlock them manually. Pain in the butt, expecially the rear doors since the latches are so far away.

THE PROBLEM:
The issue is that the latch power motors has a temperature protection chip in them. If you cycle them lock/unlock to many times in a short time, it will heat up and stop the motor from operating, to protect the motor. Over time, this chip wears out and stops current from flowing properly inside the motor. For some reason, which I feel is good, it will allow the motor to lock the door. However, it will not give enough power to unlock the door. Maybe over time it will also stop it from locking as well, however, for now it will still lock the latch.

SOLUTION:
There are a couple of options:
1. Purchase a new latch from the stealer. Our local place charges $175+ tax for a new latch assembly.
2. Purchase a used latch on-line. EBay has them ranging from $40 to $140. Mind you, these latches can last 30 days or a couple of years depending on the wear.
3. Source them from a junk yard which can already be bad since you can't test them on the car. I went through several of them before I finally gave up and learned how to repair the motor.
4. Repair the motor inside the latch. This is takes a little time, some skill, and a little supply material. You remove the latch, open the latch assembly, remove the motor, open the motor, remove the switch, install a solid electrical part to carry the current inside the motor, put the motor back together, install the motor, close and seal the latch, then install the latch back in the door. The only issue I believe exist with this method is that the motor no longer has the thermo protection. Run it 20 times and it may burn out the motor.

OPTION:
I am considering offering a service where I can rebuild these latches and have an exchange service where people can purchase or exchange them with me. $50 For an exchange, $75 for a purchase. I do realize that it's a pain in the butt to work with these latches, you can't just ship one and wait for it to be repaired and shipped back, you won't be able to lock the car. So, I'll likely have to have a supply and allow people to order the latches, then credit back the core, $25 when I receive them.

IS IT WORTH IT?:
I'd like to know if you guys think this service would be worth it. I can give a warranty with the units. I have repaired all of our latches and have had no issues in a year. I think they'll last forever (for a 12+ year old car that shouldn't be long). I'd feel comfortable with prorating a warranty $10 per year, or giving a 5 year warranty on them.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Door Acuator/Latch

This service would be helpful, as I just replaced my original drivers door latch with a replacement from a salvage yard. Salvage yard latch came out of a 1998 S70. The latch itself is the same but being a 4 door the cable is to short to reach the interior handle, so I had to remove the short cable & install the longer cable. The S70 latch didn't have a tie rap holding the cable 1/2 inch from the mounting bracket at the latch end, nor a hole in the plastic to insert the tie wrap to secure the cable. I drill a hole, doesn't effect latch at all and inserted the tie wrap. The lock rod with button on top is different shape on 4 door than my C70, so the rod had to be swapped. This service would be good if a swap of just the latch, minus the rod & cable or communications ensured the replacement would come with all parts and the inoperable latch would be sent with all parts. Removing the rod is simple, removing/swapping the cable takes patience.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the considerations stated in my last post, I am going to excercise the opportunity to get my original latch repaired via rspi's offer. This assumes the problem with mine is the thermistor switch. With my door working now I do not require a new latch 1st then forwarding my latch in return. I would end up with a rebuilt latch with a warranty. I believe my replacement latch will fail sooner than I wish! the whole window regulator must be removed for my 1998 C70. The latch can be removed & installed without window regulator work on a 1998 S70. RSPI maybe a basic removal/installation sticky for these latches would be nice. I could supply pictures of my C70 door, you could supply the S70/V70 pictures. We could PM the procedures until we get a good generic instruction with tools. We would have to specify that the procedures were only for a selected model year group. This might help you with providing a service & the forum with help.