Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Removing stuck bolt on camshaft position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing stuck bolt on camshaft position sensor?

While trying to remove the camshaft position sensor in poor nighttime lighting, I thought it required an allen wrench only to realize it was actually a torx screw once all the torx torxes were ground out.

I've since tried a multitude of bolt removal devices, and nothing's worked except I'm losing bolt head. I've attached a pic. The bolt head is inside the yellow circle.

I believe I can remove this bolt if I have better access.

Surrounding the yellow circle is a red circle, and inside the red circle you'll see some sort of metal plate or maybe a shield attached by way of the same bolt that I'm going to remove. I can't determine what this metal plate is for. I'm going to cut it off with a Dremel tool just before where it turns 90º next to the bolt.

The 90º bend blocks access to the full bolt head.

What would happen if I cut off the metal plate?

Do you reckon they'll hold my grades? Call my parents? Send me to the principal's office?

Because the government has now decided what my choice is in light bulbs, shower heads, toilet flushes, and healthcare, I did put in a call to Mr Obama to ask him if it's alright if I cut off the metal plate. He was off playing golf at the time, but the young lady who took my call took my message and judging by her response to the panicked earnestness in my voice, I believe someone will call back.

It is an election year. Let's have fun with it.

Anyway, what is this metal plate/shield for?

If I do cut it off, what is this plate/shield called, and does anyone know of a part number so I can get it replaced?

Or even better, I'm wide open for any ideas for removing this bolt so I can skip worrying about the metal plate; even though the entire Executive Branch of the Federal Government is diligently trying to determine the consequences of its removal.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Removing stuck bolt on camshaft position sensor?-s70-camshaft-sensor-bolt.jpg  

Last edited by s70inGA; 07-21-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Federal humor requirement in an election year.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can cut the chrome looking plate off. Then find a good pair of vise grips to lock onto the screw. If that will not work use a small chisel and a hammer to try to tap the screw loose.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Irwin Bolt-Grips. You can buy them at Sears and some auto parts stores.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I was remote when one of mine got stuck and stripped. I had a drill bit in my tool box so I taped it to my Speed handle and drilled most of the bolt head off and unscrewed it. The bolt heads are kinda soft so they drill out pretty easy.

I believe the bracket just holds wires and pcv hoses.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I cut off the plate, I got it right out with the Craftsman version of the Irwin Bolt-Grips. Thank God for Dremel. And Irwin. And I guess Craftsman.

Now I need to test the sensor to make sure that's the actual problem.

Thanks for the kind responses and helpful tips.