Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'95 850 T5 - Camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 850 T5 - Camshaft position sensor

My wagon just stopped in it's tracks. Working beautifully one day - then only cranksover andrefuses tofire-up the next.

I'm now working my waythrough a process of elimination - you know when it doesn't go you're straight away smack-bang back in theold fuel/spark syndrome.

From my limited knowledge, one item that cancause this problem is thecamshaft position sensor. I don't think it is fuel related as the fuel pump works and you can smell fuel whenyou grind the engine overwith the pedal flat onthe floor.

So far, I have pulled out the camshaft position sensor housing from the rear of the camshaft and cleanedup the insides, i.e. magnet etc. however, just cleaning up the unitdoesn't guarantee the CPS willoperate correctly.

My real problem is that I also tried to remove the whole unit (i.e. with the lead) out of theengine bay for a close visual inspection, but, nomatter what I tried, I could not separatetheconnector.

The CPS connector,like most things on a 850 Volvo, is in an awkward position to get at (under other equipment).I've tried to find a locating lug or similar that holds the male/female ends of the connector together withoutsuccess. I can see what appears to bea smallmetal plateon the connector body and assume this issomething to do with locking theconnector together however, at the risk of reqpating myself,I cannot discern any lugs or 'triggers' that I can actuate to'unlock' lockthe connector.

I'm sure the connector doesn't simplydoesn't pull apart and I'm very reluctant togive the wiresa hard tug as I'm certain I'd onlysucceed in pulling the wires out of the connector.

I need to be able to get the connector apart in the eventthe existing CPS needs to bereplaced (however myfingers are crossed it doesn't have to be).

So, any ideas out there?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: '95 850 T5 - Camshaft position sensor

Yes it is a pain you need to look really closely. The female side should unplug and move out of the way.
Then on the metal plate there is a clip that goes on the end of the groove you need to remove the clip to allow the plug for the CPS to slide out.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tech

Yes it is a pain you need to look really closely. The female side should unplug and move out of the way.
Then on the metal plate there is a clip that goes on the end of the groove you need to remove the clip to allow the plug for the CPS to slide out.
Thanks Tech,

I think I'll have to remove a few of the turbo hoses etc. to be able to get better access to the connector. I'm hoping there will be a dirty orfaulty connection so wish me luck,althoughcommon sense tells me I probablywill end up having to replace thecamshaft position sensor ($$$).

Modern cars wrong-foot me easily - I'm a creature of the old school where keeping a car on the road was relatively simpleasall you had to do wascheck therewasspark and fuel and, if you had these, the car usually fired up.

Now,with all the relays, sensors, computersstuck everywhere, and everythingbeing socompact you can hardly get to anything,just makes it very hard.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it is alot harder these days.