Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Replacement Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 AM
jg1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Brake Pads and Rotors

What is a suitable manufacturer for replacement front brake pads and rotors for a 98 s70 non-turbo? I am trying to decide between Brembo vs. PBR for the discs and whether to go with PBR or OEM Volvo pads. If I choose the PBR option I save about $80 total (discs and rotors). The sides of the PBR pads are not cut at an angle like the Volvo pads; the brake material also appears to be a different color at least looking at the photos from the various websites. I'm thinking of going with the Brembo discs and the Volvo pads but I figure I would check with the experts and see if the difference in cost is justified.

Also any opinions on the Mann oil filter vs the Volvo oil filter.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Replacement Brake Pads and Rotors

I use the Brembo rotors with the OEM pads and have no problems at all, and I am very picky about brakes. I have tried other pads and found that I might as well just stick with the OEM because I have bad luck with anything else and know many others feel the same. Mann is the manufacturer of the OEM oil filters. I use them too.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:58 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1.

For Volvos, stick to OEM parts as much as you can to avoid problems. Brembo, Zimmermann & ATE all should be good, I went with Brembo, and the only thing I didn't like about them was that they were not made in Italy as they were supposed to. Otherwise, you'd be happy with Brembo.

For pads, there seem to be a few different OEMs, and I used Textar for fronts and was very happy with them. As for the rears, I used Rouland Dan-Block, and again I was very happy with them. Be sure to follow maintenance precautions if you plan to do the job by yourself. Some bolts must be replaced upon removal & reassembly.

FCP Groton:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/CSV70/csv70brakes.htm

eEuroparts:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/

Good luck & best safety to you,

JPN

Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also replaced all 4 with brembos and had no problems, I chose the best ceramic pads, as they will last longer. 30k so far with tons of pad left.

The Bosch oil filter seems to have the largest through holes.
But I have also used Fram and STP with no complaints.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 PM
jg1

Thanks for the all the info -- lots of great advice on this site.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 PM

You mentioned "best ceramic pads." I spoke with the Palm Springs Volvo service department concerning the life expectancy of pads and rotors. They said OEM pads are not ceramic. I don't recall exactly what he said they were made of but I thought he said an organic compound. He said they will last only 30K-35K (which is way shorter than I'm used to compared to my previous American vehicles) but will have better breaking and will be quieter than ceramic.

1. Are OEM pads really made of something other than ceramic or are they pulling my leg?

2. Also, does anyone have an opinion concerning Akebono break pads? I only found one Volvo owner's review of this brand at:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...amp;perfCode=P

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Mann is the OEM manufacturer for Volvo oil filters. The Mann's are cheaper than buying filters from the dealer. You can buy them by the case from FCP Groton and others. I've good luck with both Akebono ceramic pads and Mintex red box. I also have Zimmerman drilled rotors on all three of my S70s.