Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S70 Control Arm Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 Control Arm Help

I just replaced my drivers side lower control arm. I have done many repairs but this was the first time doing a lower control arm. Everything went pretty smooth. However, the steering feels strange now and when you turn to the left it feels like you could keep turning the wheel to the left forever - it doesn't seem to stop turning as early as before. I have checked and rechecked everything! Bolts are tight, Ball Joint seems right in place just like the other side control arm/ ball joint look. I am puzzled and afraid of driving it now . It's the two bolt version.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 PM

Sounds like you could be missing the bump stop on the passenger side... sounds ridiculous, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Maybe posting some pictures would help?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the reply! I am now thinking it's just an alignment issue. I just replaced the other side and all went well. I am taking it for an alignment this weekend. I will post the results after alignment.

312,000 miles and still going strong! Except for bushings and things that do finally wear out!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Had my car aligned and everything is good - no issues. The mechanic said once you replace lower control arms things can be a little out of wack until you get the car aligned.

Replacing the control arms was not that difficult. I bought the control arms from FCP Groton ( great company and people at FCP!) and saved a ton of money from having the garage do the job!

If you are going to replace your lower control arms a few tips:

1) Soak down the bolts with penetrating oil first. There are two main bolts and one Ball Joint Bolt. Two of my bolts would not give and finally broke - which was fine making it easier.

2) Only tighten the main control arm bolts that attach to the frame finger tight initially. You can tighten the ball joint bolt tight. But you must put your wheel back on and lower the car BEFORE tightening the two main control arm bolts. Otherwise, you will pretty much ruin and greatly shorten the life of the bushings.

3) You will have to bang pretty good to get the old ball joint down from it's seat in the steering knuckle. Use a large screw driver or chisel if needed to pry the old ball joint down. When installing the new ball joint you will need to tap it up into the steering knuckle. It is best to do this with using a hammer and a piece of wood. Hold the wood on the bottom of the ball joint and tap the wood with the hammer until the ball joint seats in the steering knucle. Make sure it's seated - you should see the cone top of the ball joint very visible above it's clamp. See how the other ball joint looks (if you haven't removed it yet).

Each side took me about an hour and a half. The biggest part of the job is getting the old bolts loose.