Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Front lower control arm bushings, Please help!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front lower control arm bushings, Please help!

I just bought my first Volvo last week. 2002 S60 AWD Turbo with 60,000 miles. Im a member of the syty.net forum and several guys from that board refered me here after my purchase.

Heres what I have found with the car. I am getting a thumping in the front end when I get the car into a twist and if i hit a bump sometimes. I have access to a lift so i put it in the air tonight to check out the car to see if i can find a problem. I noticed that the lower control arm bushings are in bad shape. The ones to the front of the car. My question is. Where is the best place to buy the bushings? Do you have to replace the whole control arm of can you just press out the bushings and put new ones in? I was thinking aftermarket bushings would be nice if you can get them in polly. Thanks alot guys.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Default RE: Newby with a problem already, Please help!

You'll be happy as a Volvo driver. The S60 AWD is a very nice car!

I'm not going to answer your question, as there are many more qualified individuals here. I will comment that a poly bushing will carry a lot more vibration and noise over a stock (read more expensive) bushing. I replaced a motor mount in my T5 and am now considering going back to the factory stuff. Volvos are sensitive to bushings, so may as well do it right the first time...

Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Default RE:Problem with lower control arm bushings, Please help!

I ordered lower control are bushings for the car last week. The parts came in on friday and they arent the ones I need. Can anyone help me get the correct bushing. I have called 2 different dealers and they gave me the same part number.
I need the lower bushings that are to the front of the car. I recieved the bushings that are to the rear of the front control are witch are "dog bone" shaped. Bolts at each end.
The bushing I need looks to be a press in bushing. Any sugestoins? thanks Adam

Old 03-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: RE:Problem with lower control arm bushings, Please help!

They are a major pita to change.
This is what I so for parts and part#'s
Name:  S60controlarm.jpg
Views: 3699
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  S60controlarm1.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the info tech!! I ordered #6 and just kept #7 and was going to replace all them. How much of a PITA are they to change? Any tricks tips you can send my way? im going to be doing them at a Dodge dealership with the help of a lift and a press. Is the press the best route to go? Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

6 isn't that bad.
7 is the real pita I have seen people trash the control arm using the Volvo special tool.
Make sure you can prop it good using the press and go slowly.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the help tech. I will let you know how it goes. Im looking at doing it beginning of the week.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM

Well we got the bushings done on friday night. The job wasn't all that bad. Thank God!!

What we ended up doing was using the press to pop out the bushing to the rear of the car. (bushing #3 in 2nd diagram) They poped out pretty easly. Then we just used a 3/4 inch drive socket the same diameter as the metal on the bushing.

The bushings to the front of the car (#2)was a little more challenging but after a little thinking and trial they ended up coming out nicely.What we used was a deep well socket and the vise. We pressed out the "ears" and bushing out from the outer metal shell. Then we had to use a screw driver to bend the shell to the middle splitting it in about 3 or 4 places. The all we did is us a 3/4" drive shallow socket the was slightly smaller than the hole, put the control arm in the vise and pounded it out. Used the same method to install it back into the control arm making sure it was going in strait.

After all the bushings were in we ran into a snag putting them back on. The bushing were so tight now that we had to unbolt the steerins knuckle from the strut to get it back together.

We decided to just go ahead and replace both bushings since we had it apart.

Hope this is a little insite of how the job was done incase someone out there wants to try the job on there own.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 AM

Did you use any grease to press new bushings in?