Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs

I drive a 98 s70 2.4L non-turbo what type of spark plugs should I get - I would be going to Advanced Auto Parts and this might sound stupid but how many?

Also do you recommend K&N oil filters or Mobil 1?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Spark plugs

OEM oil filter or FRAM.

5 spark plugs. You have a 5 cylinder engine. Thusly you need 5 spark plugs.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you're in serious hurry to replace the plugs & change oil, and if it were my car, I would go with OEM filter and genuine Volvo spark plugs. I would order them at http://www.fcpgroton.com/CSV70/csv70tuneup.htmand wait a few days (2-5 days).

JPN

Old 08-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about Bosch Platinum spark plugs?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM

have not heard great things about the Bosch Platinum, i like the K&N oil filters though, also not a huge fan of fram, seems cheap to me

Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I refer to Fram as "Orange Death. Seriously, cut one open some day. Far fewer pleats (means less surface area) than any other filter. less surface area= gets plugged up faster and goes into bypass mode. I personally use Amsoil EA filters. They're a really high efficiency, high surface area filter that gets out the tiniest of particles without clogging or breaking down. They use a fabric filter media instead of paper. K&N oil filters are great for high flow... but they don't filter the oil as well, as the pores in the media are larger. They're intended mainly for race applications where really high oil flow is more important. There's NO reason to use OEM filters and plugs- they're made by an aftermarket manufacturer to begin with- Volvo doesn't have their own plant that makes filters and plugs, they buy from Mann (filters) and Bosch, Champion(seriously!), or Denso(plugs)You're actually just paying more for the Volvo name. For oil filters, my recommendation, especially on turbocharged cars, is any high- quality, high- efficiency filter, such as Amsoil EA, Mobil 1, Purolator PureONE, or even Fram Tough Guard. These filters filter out tinier particles than even the OEM filters do, and clean oil is absolutely essential to a turbocharged engine. For spark plugs, any good quality manufacturer- Bosch, Denso, and NGK are great, and platinum plugs last longer. Bosch original platinum plugs ARE kind of a special case. They're GREAT in some cars, and absolutely HORRIBLE in others. However, I've used the platinum +4 plugs in several cars and always had great results- there's a set in my Jetta that have been there for almost 100,000 miles, and they look like new. Oh, and always use a synthetic oil, especially in a turbo- it won't sludge up, and more importantly to a turbo, it won't coke up as easily in the oil lines as a conventional oil will, and with most high quality synthetics like Amsoil or Mobil1, you can extend the change interval safely. Under NO circumstances should you use "dollar store" oil- most of that stuff is a non- detergent or low- detergent oil made from "re- refined" used oil. I realize that that's not likely to happen with you guys, but I see that stuff get put in cars all the time. When I have a customer that uses it, I point to the bottle where it even tells you it's for use "in older cars where economy is a main consideration" and only meets the API's "SA" grade. SA was current back in the 50s. Modern cars call for SM. (the higher the letter, the better the detergents in the oil. SA is non- detergent.)

Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Buy a case of mann filters.

http://fcpgroton.com/CSV70/csv70tuneup.htm

And futher down the page, get the bosch plugs. I'm not sure what they need to be gapped at so hopefully someone here can chime in.

Oh and if you havne't replaced your distributor cap, rotor and plug wires, now would be a VERY wise time to do so.