Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Strut Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Replacement Problem

I just changed the struts in my 98 S70, and I have a problem I would appreciate feedback on.

I replaced the stock struts with Bilsteins. In the process I also installed new upper spring seats, bumper stops, and strut mounts. After everything was assembled, I noticed I had a gap between bottom of the top most washer and the mount underneath it. I'm sure this is not correct. But, I have no idea what may have caused this. I was meticulous about assembling everything. The only thing I can think of is I might have installed the funky lock nut with the wings upside down. I've attached a picture.

Attached Thumbnails Strut Replacement Problem-dscn0177ps-40.jpg  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is normal to have a space like that.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Default I changed my struts & shocks yesterday too

Oddly enough I spent most of yesterday changing my shocks and struts, too. I answered my own question, tech - after 108,000 miles the struts on our '98 S70 were shot. The ride is amazing now, and no more little noises driving me crazy! I went with Bilstein TCs all around, from fcp Groton. I got OEM or OEM sourced parts, nothing from China.

Do I really need to have the alignment checked?

Bill

Old 07-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes you should. The camber will be off now.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Thanks tech.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:20 PM

I installed the heavy duty Bilsteins, front and rear. I had no experience with the brand before, and bought them based on reputation for quality and handling. 1,000 miles after the big investment in time and money I don't think I like them. I expected them to be firm, but I think I underestimated how stiff they would be. The car rides like a truck now. Its actually an unpleasant ride. Anybody else have experience with these struts/shocks?

Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 PM

I had a set in my '89 VW GTI, they were rock hard, but I was younger back then. I installed the TCs in our S70, and like them so far. I read several forums and went back and forth between the TCs and the stock Boge/Sachs. Several folks on the forums say the HDs are too hard, but some like them. Many liked the TCs.

You might be able to find a buyer for them, slightly used.

Good luck.

Bill

Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobOrtiz
I installed the heavy duty Bilsteins, front and rear. I had no experience with the brand before, and bought them based on reputation for quality and handling. 1,000 miles after the big investment in time and money I don't think I like them. I expected them to be firm, but I think I underestimated how stiff they would be. The car rides like a truck now. Its actually an unpleasant ride. Anybody else have experience with these struts/shocks?
Anytime you're looking at Bilsteins for the street, do NOT get the HeavyDuty (HD)!!! These are for racing only (IMO).

Who ever sold them to you should have warned you! The std Bilstein is best shock/strut on the mkt (again IMO).

Old 07-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I bought them online from IPD. So no chance to talk to anybody. I did look at the reviews there and every reviewer raved about them. I've added my own now, which I believe is a little more objective. The car definitely handles much better on smooth roads. But its very hard to control across bumps and rough roads, and it rides so stiff it is unpleasant. I would not recommend them for most road cars, especially if you live in the Northeast where winter take its toll on road surfaces.

Also, regarding the gap I started this thread about. Good to know its normal. But can somebody explain why its there? What's the point?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobOrtiz
Thanks for the feedback. I bought them online from IPD. So no chance to talk to anybody. I did look at the reviews there and every reviewer raved about them. I've added my own now, which I believe is a little more objective. The car definitely handles much better on smooth roads. But its very hard to control across bumps and rough roads, and it rides so stiff it is unpleasant. I would not recommend them for most road cars, especially if you live in the Northeast where winter take its toll on road surfaces.

Also, regarding the gap I started this thread about. Good to know its normal. But can somebody explain why its there? What's the point?
A lot of cars have a gap like that that allows a bit of free play in the upper mount. I'm not sure why it's there on these cars, but I know on VWs it's actually there to change the suspension geometry a little in tight cornering. However, there's so much play in those cars that mechanics who don't know better often freak out and warn of impending doom from badly worn strut mounts... not so on the Volvos, though that play might be for a similar reason.