Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Turbosmart (style) in-cabin MBC install help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbosmart (style) in-cabin MBC install help...

Okay, now i've had my S70 Automatic GLT for about a month now, and i've had all the maintenance taken care of by a professional Volvo repair shop. Now afterwards I've installed a K&N cone filter and a turbosmart (style) in-cabin boost controller which is the exact same thing as the turbosmart brand. just ebay's version which has a slightly different t-piece. I've replaced all of the major vacuum turbo tubes such as a the wastegate tube, BOV tube, and compressor tube, even the intake tube that connects to the BCS was replaced. But anyways I've hooked it up as directed by the turbosmart (being they're the exact same product) website and that didn't work, I've even hooked up the exact same ways as other friends have theirs hooked up (exact same product and all, Doesn't work on my car but works perfectly on theirs. (but they have an external wastegate and much much bigger turbo (plus they have honda's) but regardless of the car brand the boost controller works the same way and this should be working, yet when i turn it up all the way it only maxes out 9-10 psi then settles down to like 5.... WTF..... even if I'm still flooring it once the car shifts I lose boost pressure. I know it's hooked up properly as the compressor lines goes into the T-piece and continues to the wategate, the BCS (still plugged into the engine) and intake tube have been capped off. I' know a lot about turbo cars, I've owned several in my time, but I'm just trying to trouble shoot this thing and get it working properly.. as i said before all of the tubes on the car have been replaced and secured with zip-ties. I already have new turbo kit just waiting in my living room to be put on but i don't wanna put it on if i can't even control the boost properly.. I would like to get 15psi out of the little ****-ant turbo before i upgrade atleast... just to feel the 15psi mark. Is it because it's an auto? or what? i need some insight here and opinions, this is the 2nd Volvo and 1st turbo Volvo. Much help Appreciated

Specs:
98 GLT Automatic
184K Maintenance taken good care of
Prosport Green/White boos gauge and pod
K&N cone filter replaced air-box
Turbosmart (style) in-cabin boost controller (not in-cabin anymore, has better results under the hood, no PSI loss)

Mods to come:
3" DP to e-cutout
T3/T4 .60a/r compressor .63 turbine (yeah i know it's big but really on a 2.4L 5cyl it doesn't really matter)
SOME sort of engine management (possibly a piggy back I'll be god dammed if I'm gonna spend 800.00 on a ****ty ECU upgrade or RICA tune I don't have that kind of money to drop right now and some tune is better than no tune)

WHEW..... that's a lot of typing. I appreciate the help. Oh yeah also if you're gonna be a douche bag when you comment or respond then go to hell and move on to the next thread.. I don't have time for a pissing contest..

Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I wonder if your bypass valve is bad (CBV)?
It sounds like you are leaking boost somewhere.

If all the hoses are new/good then I would look at the CBV then.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

I had one of these ebay turbosmart want-a-be MBC on my 850 and it never worked. The T fitting was made backwards to I would either have no boost, or so much that it was like the wastegate was not opening. I would junk that thing and get on of the good MBCs that they sell on ebay.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 AM

yeah, I'm starting to believe that that's the main issue..

I would really like an EBC that i can mount in the cabin without losing performance, in your opinion what's the best bang for the buck? I would like something that matches my green theme i got going on. I'm tired of always having to go under the hood.

Backwards? I've tried switching to the opposite direction and all i get is no boost and a CEL. But a friend who has the same exact controller on his car has the controller hooked up as so: Bottom nipple of the controller it self is routed to one end of the T, the other end of the T is routed to the wastegate, the top piece of the T is routed to my vacuum tree on the intake manifold with the compressor nipple capped off (a complete PITA because everything is hot as ****. lol) My friend showed me this on his turbo integra and it works without a hitch, I'm beginning to believe i need to find a turbosmart T piece.. but when it's hooked up as so the car show's no signs of problems or CEL's, When i hook up at the instructions show on the turbosmart website it works just the same as i have it hooked up now.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest the best BANG for your buck is an ECU upgrade. Even if you go with the IPD USA or RICA tunes. They are the two best tune son the market and are worth the money.

I would forget about the MBC or EBC altogether. They just aren't worth the pain and trouble the comes with them.

So your going to put or want to put a bigger turbo on your car. Have you thought about pistons, rods, injectors, FMIC? If not I would put those items on your list too.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM

I don't have 800 to throw around and buy an ECU upgrade, i pay my rent myself and i pay other bills on top of that. And an ECU from IPD is out of the question. I'll eventually get a RICA tune but that'll be much further down the road, I'm just looking for something cheap in the mean time.

also I'm not gonna be running over 18psi or anything it's not a race car, i just wanted a bit more power. But rods and pistons wouldn't be needed for what I'm looking for. The FMIC and piping is also on the list, it's all going on the car next month. I do have a BOV as well which i got from a Evolution 8 (non MR) plastic yes, but holds reliably up to 23psi.

oh and i have the turbo which is gong on next month the only thing needed is the FMIC and some sort of tuner (maybe AFC) jsut to have some kind of base tune. the injectors are fine they're the same injectors that are in the T5 and R series cars which has 300hp which is what i would be looking for.

Last edited by SLO_ASS70; 06-28-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM

whoa, buddy, i dont know what other forums youve been a part of, but there are no dueche bags here and no need for hostility. we are all here to help each other, man.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 PM

whew, good, it's not you (or anyone in particular) It's just that i know alot of honda D-bags and they all ask the same questions, and we all know the answer (they wouldn't understand) I just hate being told things i already know, i know i need an ECU updgrade i just don't make enough money, plus i realize volvo's are expensive cars to upkeep. I learned this the hard way.. But i had my first race against a stock *** grand am GT and the sad part is, i barely beat it maybe a car length or so and then kep pulling, but for a (possibly) 195HP car against a 175 hp car i was thinking i would beat it a little more.. i'm drunk... and rambling, i'm sorry tho, i don't mean to snap on anyone..

Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 PM

I've always been an oddball all my life, and always had a soft spot for oddball cars. i've owned 2 turbo DSM's (first was a sypder GS-T, and 2nd was a 1g GSX) first turbo car i ever had as a 00 Civic Si (which was tuned, but slow due to a blown #3 oil ring) Every turbo car i've had was a POS and never lasted i was always made fun of because of this, i was always doubted and put down for my idea's and ambitions... i just really want a car that will shut people the **** up... and i don't want any BS out of it. But i've put more money under the hood of my volvo (all replacement parts) than i paid for it, and honestly i miss my DSM (the Syder) ....

Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM

its cool dude, i know all about those honda d bags.lol you are very right sir, volvos are not cheap. but idk, there is just somethin about my car, that i couldnt trade it out if i wanted to. i hope you enjoy yours just the same.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM

oh i do, i love my car, and i hate it, we know the drill.. but I would probably kick myself if i ever got rid of it. it's so nice, leather everywhere, cruise control, auto a/c (which is sick) heated seats, defrosting mirrors, auto sunroof, i feel like i own a 3rd rate BMW sometimes. It's a fantastic car to own, and some what easy to make quick, since i've owned it with the little mods i have done now i notice it's much much faster, the boost is solid, the turbo sounds healthy, it's just the previous owners never replaced anything i don't even think they changed the oil... but before i do anything i have to take her back to the volvo repair shop and tell them to replace the gaskets (which ones? oh.. ALL OF THEM..) but the motor is sold and strong, i see good things for this car for once... and oddly enough.. it's a volvo. the only car i'd ever trade it for ever, is most likely an S60 (maybe an R) but that's later on down the line when i get a real job..and everything thats on my S70 will come off and go on that S60 or maybe the cheaper version S60 AWD

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 PM

wow.... i just went out in m car i started it up and i noticed it had an unusually low idle, and was running extremely rough, so i started driving to the grocery store, so i'm driving the car and giving a 3/4 throttle and once it gets up to 5 psi the engine stops tryign to boost and you can actually hear the engine wining down, so i pull off and take out the boost tee and reconnect the BCS, i start the car and now the TRACS OFF light and ABS light are on... o_O.... that's not even the best part once i get home from the store i pop the trunk and reach down into the trunk and slam my head into the lid of the trunk... (now i'm pissed) i get mad and push the trunk back so far that the hydraulics come out of position and the trunk closes even further and but now it's like stuck.. i get the grocery's out of the car and slam the trunk down to get it shut, i go in and change and attempt to fix this i crawl in and lay on my back using my feet to prop the trunk up and and try positioning the hydraulics after realizing that this will never work i slowly and carefully get out of the trunk, with my hand resting on the threshold. the trunk then slams it self down attempting to close but with my hand in the way its doesn't go as planned, it slammed to hard that now my bone is popped out (under the skin) i address my hand and the trunk closes with my keys inside and all the doors are locked and now the trunk is locked. so i had to go back into the apartment and grab my spare and go back to get my keys out of the trunk. officially i'm pretty bummed about this car now.. i know the trunk thing is my fault letting my anger get the best of me, but what do you have to say about the dash lights being on?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The ABS modules are a VERY common failure on these cars. I will bet the ABS module went bad.