Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Upper Torque Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Torque Mount

I think its time for me to replace my upper engine mount because there is a good amount of play. What exactly would putting a polyurethane mount in do? And/or what would you guys suggest?

Old 12-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 PM

I just replaced my upper torque mount today. It was pretty simple in my 2003 s60 T4. However, I still have alot of play in the Strut bar mount bracket bushings...sometimes called upper torque rod brackets. I am having trouble finding the brackets/bushings to purchase and replace. Anyone know where I can purchase a set of these?

I purchased a rubber vs. urethane because I read too many bad reviews referring to excessive vibration at idle due to them being denser material and not absorbing enough of the vibrations.

I would be interested to know what you choose.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by weigelbrood
I just replaced my upper torque mount today. It was pretty simple in my 2003 s60 T4. However, I still have alot of play in the Strut bar mount bracket bushings...sometimes called upper torque rod brackets. I am having trouble finding the brackets/bushings to purchase and replace. Anyone know where I can purchase a set of these?

I purchased a rubber vs. urethane because I read too many bad reviews referring to excessive vibration at idle due to them being denser material and not absorbing enough of the vibrations.

I would be interested to know what you choose.

A certain amount of play is by design to allow the engine to vibrate without restraint. You do not want that rod to be held hard to the strut towers. I doubt that those bushings need replacement.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by JamesG
A certain amount of play is by design to allow the engine to vibrate without restraint. You do not want that rod to be held hard to the strut towers. I doubt that those bushings need replacement.
Thanks, James. I will leave it as is. Should all motor mounts be equally as loose?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:53 AM

Mounts will not last forever, but for how long I can't say. I think Volvo uses soft mountings for the 5-cyl engine because that engine has significant vibrations and oscillations due to inherent lack of dynamic balance and the design choice by Volvo of not incorporating balance shafts into the block. The Volvo diesels use vacuum mounts which are soft at idle and stiffen as the rpms increase. The Volvo petrol engines don't use vacuum mounts but at least some years use liquid filled (silicone oil I think) main support mounts which must have a shorter life than solid rubber or elastomer.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft.

I am not disagreeing with that decision--that may be entirely reasonable for a 5-cyl engine of 2.4 L displacement, but GM in their Atlas series of 5-cyl engines (much larger than 2.4L) do use balance shafts.

Inline 6-cyl engines have inherently good balance, but inline 4-cyl and 5-cyl, and even V6s and V8s do not. Traditionally 4-cyl engines of displacement greater than 2.0 L are fitted with balance shafts. In the inline 4-cyl the balance shafts are parallel, twin counter rotating at twice the rotation rate of the crankshaft. This internally cancels out the inherent out of balance of the crank and pistons. The vibrations of the inline 5-cyl may not be as easily and as completely rectified by balance shafts as the inline 4-cyl.

Last edited by JamesG; 01-01-2015 at 11:00 AM.