Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

What's up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with this?

so I have been working on my wife's '99 S70 on and off this last week. It started out by bringing the car home on a trailer because it wouldn't run. It would start (most of the time) but run Extremely rough. I thougt maybe as I haad changed sparkplugs that I got a bad one or two or three(the way it ran). So I proceeded to put another set of new plugs in and it seemed to clear things up a bit but not runnable.

Checked codes and it said that it had no initiation to the ecm. Hmm. Sooo..... out of curiousity I unhooked the MAF and bingo, it smoothed right up and ran .. well.

so having been throught this on my '95 850 , I bought a brand new Bosch MAF to install. I received it today with high expectations of having a car that ran again. I installed it and same thing, rough running, barely idles, terrible. Unplug it and it runs great. ????????

Anyway, put the reader back on it and now it comes up with 2 codes P0201 which I understand is low input from MAF (naturally --unhooked) and a P1238 -- I've got no clue here.

ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks, Kim

Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Turbocharger control valve, its connection to the ecu, or the associated vacuum line is faulty.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM

loudgoldwing -- thanks for the advise. I will take a look at it this weekend.
I can only hope that it is the vacuum line but knowing my luck :-)
Thanks again.

Kim

Old 02-18-2012, 06:18 AM

Well..... I was looking the turbo system over this morning and as I was looking at the bottom of ther intercooler I noticed something rather pecular. The whole bottom of the cooler was missing -- gone-- wiped off. Hmmm I think I have found my problem or at least the major part of it.

Does anyone know if tank replacement is an option or just replace the whole thing?

Thanks again loudgoldwinhg for the translation of the code.

Kim

Off to the salvage yard I guess

Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would just replace the intercooler. I do not trust just the tank replacement.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks tech, I had wondered about that. No doubt that by the time everything said and done , it would be cheaper to get a used one anyway.

Got the intercooler out this afternoon, she curbed it hard enought to bend it a bit.
Didn't hurt the radiator (whew)or the condensor.

Soooo....... it s off to the used parts yard. Wonder what else I'll find there to bring home

Thanks for the help and advice