Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

When to retire the Volvo....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy When to retire the Volvo....

Hi guys!

I have a 1998 S70 base model. Her name is Virginia and she has 216,000 miles on her.

I love her. She's a classy classic. She still looks great (only one scuff on the body and interior is almost perfect except where the door vinyl pulls away like in ALL our S70s).

Well, she needs repairs, seems like I am doing nothing but repairing her a lot lately. I don't take her to the dealership, but it is still expensive.

She now has a pretty good oil leak too. I keep her topped off constantly, so no fear of her dying, but still......

I do only drive about 350 or so miles a month too. Is buying a new car worth it?

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS!!

Wendy (and Virginia Volvo)

Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, Wendy;

If you can afford newer car payments go for it. Most people retire a car when repairs are like throwing good money into a pit. Newer car payments cost an average of $500 per month, how much per month are you putting in your S70? If you dropped $500 per month for 4 to 6 months would the car still need help?

Just to clear the air, newer cars need work to. The difference is that they are usually under warranty and someone else picks up the tab.

The big thing is what you want... Are you tired of the car? Do you want something else? If so, go ahead and cut ties. What kind of oil leak is it? As you may read/notice from this forum, most people keep these cars when they can do some of the work themselves. When you have to write a check for every little thing it seems overwhelming. My estimate is that these cars cost $75 per month to keep in top shape.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

While I would agree with the last post - in principle -
I think the figures are off for my tastes. I doubt that you are going to spend 500/month on your next car or you wouldn't be driving and old car now. I would put your budget at around 350/month (am I close?) . Also, 75 a month is OK if you are doing the wrench turning, but you aren't. Maybe 125 a month? so, will the "new" car you get require repairs approaching rhe difference? Also - if you are financing the next vehicle (not good, by the way) you will need to have it insured for the balance- an additional cost you don't now have. Are you ready for a timing belt? PVC system? Axles? All are big expenses - but if major components are good then you may want to put up with the constant small stuff. Personally, I'd keep it if the leak isn't more than a few hundred. Again - what can you buy for a few thousand a year? Nothing as nice as you old friend I wager!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you so much for your replies!

Firstly - to both you you that responded, my deep gratitude!!! It is so wonderful, so so wonderful that you are helping me with this information.

OK, so the few things I'll need to get another year out of the car (which really is all I need, and then I'll have saved up enough to buy another one) is new tires, timing belt and a tune up. The car is burning oil but not to a great degree, I think again for just one year, I'll be ok.

I have to agree that maybe $100 a month to keep the car on the road is a very fare assessment.

I wish I could do some things to my car myself, but even though I am female, I do know a bit about cares and I'm fairly handy, but...I am in a built up inner city area and my building forbids me from doing any car repairs onsite anyway.....so I am a little stuck there.

Anyway, between some friends advise and your input, I will just spend the $1200 or so and get the car up to working condition for a few more thousand miles and then she can die.

Wendy