Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

04 S80 has elec shutdown in high heat. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 S80 has elec shutdown in high heat. Thoughts?

First off, I'm happy to have found this forum. Lots of great information and users.

I have an '04 S80 AWD with about 150K miles. A few months ago the I got an SRS warning message that remains to this day. had it checked by a non-dealership mechanic who said he was just getting general error code, that the SRS seemed fine.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and the temp in the midwest is regularly hitting upper 90s +. In the mornings, the car runs fine, but after it's been sitting in the sun all day and I get ready to drive home from work, this is what happens:

- Message that left rear door is open (it's not).
- Car jerks once or twice.
- All gauges drop, A/C blower works but no cold air, locks not functioning, windows not functioning, turn signals not functioning, ABS and check engine lights illuminate for a few seconds, get message stating that there is a brake failure for a few seconds (brakes working fine), and interior overhead lights come on.
- However, headlights and brake lights work, radio works, Can accelerate (although with decreased power from a dead stop) and brake.

I took it to an shop that works only on Volvo's, but they couldn't duplicate the problem and told me take it to the dealership. I called the dealership that said they can't get me in for a week and a half, but that Volvo's "do weird things in the heat". Called another shop that does Volvo's and BMW that said it sounded like a Upper Control Module issue, but they don't do that.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? I'd greatly appreciate any input you have.

Thanks, all!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Have a look at my post on this page called "Electrical Issue?" Does my problem sound like yours, because yours sounds something like mine. After poking around the web the stuttering might be a gummed up ETM, which means a cleaning is ahead. Can't say if the gauge events are caused by this so I was leaning toward an electrical source.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM

They certainly sound similar. Let me know what you learn, and I'll do the same.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM

I think for starters this weekend I'll clean the ETM. Found a few vids on that and it looks straight forward. They show an unsteady idle same as what this car does with some other similar effects. Didn't see a note about gauges though.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM

One thing about these cars is that because so many of the systems are integrated with each other a flood of bad data (malfunction) from one system can impact systems that seem unrelated.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr
One thing about these cars is that because so many of the systems are integrated with each other a flood of bad data (malfunction) from one system can impact systems that seem unrelated.
Agreed. Just dropped it off at another shop. Explained the issue to the mechanic who wants to start by just checking the ground wire. I'll let you know what comes of it. It's a friend's dad, so he not charging me to diagnose, which is nice.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM

A bad ground was one of my first thoughts, at least I would hope it would be checked early.