Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

105,000 Mile service

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 105,000 Mile service

Hi, im coming up to the 105,000 mile service on the car (on 102) now... I got the car with 97,000 or so on it so iv done nearly 5000 since, and i think its time for my first major servicing of the car...

I figured while im doing work, I can possibly get a headstart on some of the parts I need to change for the 105,000 service... eg. il have the mech inspect the timing belt and so on, because i have no idea if it has been changed or not before i got the car.

So far I plan to change all the filters and do fluid flushes, inspect the timing belt and serpentine belt assy, inspect the brakes also...
Thing is, im not sure about the spark plug service on the car.. how often should that be done? I realy cant say when last it was done but i figure it wont cost me too much to just do it.. however is there any reccomendation of a particular spark plug to use? I guess going with Bosch is a safe bet as thats what Volvo normally uses as OEM, however they have so many different grades of spark plug from 1.20 each up to 10 dollars each. Also, somewhat annoyingly, the genuine volvo set only comes with 5 spark plugs, what about the 6th! I doubt il be able to find that selling single...
Also, about the fuel injectors, when do they have to be serviced (changed or cleaned)
Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/14553/44DC6AACBBB74A0EABFC7AB12D5B4763.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 105,000 Mile service

Spark plugs are every 30k Use bosch platinums.

They should sell a set for the 6 cylinder with all 6 plugs.

Also from the PM Volvo doesn't reccomend changing the fluid.
They say if it is used for towing them change it at I believe 70k.

But alot of people will start changing it every 20k from new.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Thanks for that help, i guess whoever takes a look at my car first can take a look at the trans fluid and give me their opinion on it, same goes with the filter...
Il look into the bosch and see if i can get it asap... even if i cant change it this wknd im sure i can have it done soon after.. by any chance do you know the parts number for the bosch platinum? Im seeing all the different bosches listed but not by name, just model number, thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

FR7DP is what we use at work.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks tech, from what im seeing bosch has 4 lines...

the super which is about 2 dollars each, the platinum 2 which is about 4.50 each, the platinum 4 which is about 6.50 each and the IR fusion which is about 8.50 each... i have absolutely no problem spending the extra for the top of the line, i just need to know if it will make any substantial difference to explain the extra cost..

interestingly, amazon seems to have the best prices on them and free shipping also, never expected to be buying my spark plugs there... im still trying to figure out which of these lines the FR7DP is.. i guess the platinum 2, as there is a FR7DP+ and a FR7DPP+ which i guess is the best one...

when changing the spark plugs do you also need to change the spark plug connectors/boot?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 AM

I think il spend the extra and go top of the line, for the iridium bosch spark plugs, its about 8 each but hopefully i wont ever have to change them for years.... - The IR fusion

anyway i found it at advance, and its in stock at all advances near me, http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...60&PTSet=A just put in your zip and ul get the results also, tell me what you think of these.. Bosch claims it to be the best they have

thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Sorry to spam the thread, but if putting new spark plugs, will I also need the spark plug seals and connector? the seal is about 2.50 each and the connector looks to be about 24 dollars... my guess is i may need the seal but not the connector....

i figure it depends on the condition of the seal already in there

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 2.9, two techs at the dealer I go to handed me a pack of six plugs from volvo part#8642661-6 , cost- $16.18, this is what they recomended.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the tip, im seeing that kit online for about the same price... my question is though, would the bosch platinum be a better plug, im assuming so as it is had the irridium etc... I mean, im no mech and I dont know too much about spark plugs but i dont mind spending more to get better quality...
what could be the gains of having a superb spark plug vs a good spark plug...

Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator

The Volvo plugs are Bosch platinums.
They should come with everythin you need to install them.
Never used the ones in the link above but hear they are pretty good.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 PM

I figure il make a pass in advance and get those tomorrow, il handle top of the line considering the labour is going to cost more than the actual parts... may as well make it worthwhile...
I guess so far the service is looking pretty straightforward... i have everything exacgtly to spec and oem, well besides the cabin filter which is the charcoal one even though i have a non iaqs system but from what you have said, itl work fine for me and it was cheaper anyway haha..

so far my service looks like this,
1. change cabin, air, oil and fuel filters
2. change spark plugs
3. inspect transmission and power steering system
4. inspect timing and serpentine belt assembleys

And on the side install fog lamps and the new headlamp lens.. is looking decent... its more to determine what state my car is in seeing as i bought it relatively high mileage

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM

Hi tech, sorry to trouble you but remember the bushings that were worn on my s80.. Im assuming that this is the one for the upper engine mount....http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoha...ount%20Bushing

However, Im not really sure which were the 2 bushings that needed changing on the front steering/suspension... having a bit of trouble locating exactly which ones those were... if you can just give me a model number or name im sure i can do the rest of work from there
Thanks tech

PS. The mech came over today because my oil is draining pretty quickly now.. Il get an engine steam cleaning tomorrow and then hopefully take it to him either tomorrow or on the weekend... we can probably get it sorted out from there.. while hes at it hel do the odds and ends such as the sparks and fuel filter etc.. Im bleeding oil now though so I want to get this done ASAP
Thanks again

Old 03-22-2008, 05:20 AM

Tech, can you check that link and let me know specifically which bushing we were looking at on the suspension and decided that they were worn....

thanks

http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresu...3&cat=1033

Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdet...&code=8864
Should be those but they area major pain to change. You would have to find someone that will do them.
We don't even do them at the shop we only replace the control arm.
I have seen guys at the Dealer destroy the control arm trying to replace the bushings.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Well looks like the bushings will stay as is...

Anyway I visited my mech today after getting the undercarriage washed yesterday.... we are about 95% sure the oil leak is from the rear main oil seal... He says he wont take on that job and to be honest il be hard pressed to find somewhere in tampa that will...
how much labour will i be looking at if i take the car up to your shop for that job?
I figure i can aim to combine that with the t-belt job + s belt and hope that i can get it all done at once

Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just passed 105,000 miles and took the car in for some major service including changing the timing belt.Previously, the car ('99 S80) had a number of issues following an upgrade of the throttle body software and never operated quite the same. I have gone to two dealers and neither will replace the throttle body hardware under the recall. Now, three weeks after having the major servicing done including servicing the transmission, the car now has problems with acceleration and the "Transmission Service Urgent" light now comes on. The Volvo repair shop now indicates that I need a new transmission that will cost approx. $3,000. Hopefully, this is not a sign that my once reliable Volvo needs to be replaced.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: nicolaselias

Well looks like the bushings will stay as is...

Anyway I visited my mech today after getting the undercarriage washed yesterday.... we are about 95% sure the oil leak is from the rear main oil seal... He says he wont take on that job and to be honest il be hard pressed to find somewhere in tampa that will...
how much labour will i be looking at if i take the car up to your shop for that job?
I figure i can aim to combine that with the t-belt job + s belt and hope that i can get it all done at once
I believe the labor for the rear main seal is like 10 hours labor.
I will have to try to remember on monday to check.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks tech, sounds like a nightmare job.... im just wondering what bad luck i had for that seal, of all the seals , to be the one to go...

sounds like im in for a HUGE repair bill..... the other option being just keep feeding the car with oil, but i cant just keep driving around everywhere bleeding oil

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

I hear you and sorry but thats not something I can do in the driveway either.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 PM

I know, its a big job... so far I dont think im too keen on doing that in tampa...
If I have to do it i will most likely carry it up to the shop you work at to do..

i just need a 2nd opinion to make sure its that rear main oil seal.. then il see the course of action

Quick Reply: 105,000 Mile service