Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2001 S80 instrument cluster light quandry

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2001 S80 instrument cluster light quandry

Is there ANY other reason besides the bulbs needing to be replaced that the lights on ONLY the 2 lighted sections (the one on the left being a trip odometer, the one on the right being the gear indicator, clock, and outside temperature display)?

To explain further, I removed the cluster from the dash (an easy process--thanks to the poster who explained that to me) to clean the backside of the glass and get the dust off. I then put it back in place, and noticed that the right hand side lighted section didn't light up. I removed it again to check and make sure I had plugged the fitting into the back good (which was ok), then returned it and now neither of them are working.

In case you are having trouble understanding which two sections I am referring to, the one on the extreme left is the message center---it works fine. Then there is a lighted section that is NOT working which holds a trip odometer, then there is the "arrow" light in the middle, which works fine, then the other lighted section I am referring to which holds the outside temp display, gear indicator and clock--this section does NOT work; then finally on the extreme right are the "idiot lights"--check engine, etc., all of those DO work fine.

Any input will be greatly appreciated....hoping it is just the two bulbs on the back of these two sections!

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 AM

If you are looking at the reverse side of your cluster, the sockets for those screens are those with the grey bulb holders at about 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock (if the green cable socket is 12). I had to replace one of mine last summer so decided to replace them both while it was out. Could not find the right bulb and didn't want to pay the $12 or whatever it is Volvo is bangin you for em nowadays, so I used Sylvania 74's and they have worked since without problem.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info!! I went to the Volvo stealer here today and not only did they not have any bulbs in stock, the parts guy wasn't sure exactly what part numbers to order (mind you....I took the old ones with me--haha!). Anyway....I came home and found some I had taken out of a 96 model 850 I used to have....and presto--worked great!!

Thanks for your input!!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 PM

When replacing these bulbs, remember that if they don't light, you must remove them and rotate them in the socket. They will only light when they are put in the right way. Right now, your bulbs are put in the reverse way.