Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2004 S80 T6 Transmission Slipping - Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 S80 T6 Transmission Slipping - Need Some Help

Hey everyone, I need some help. My car has 130K and my transmission started slipping about a month ago and has gotten progressively worse. I have not gotten any system warning and my mechanic said nothing came up on his computer at the time. I then took it to Volvo to get the software update but it did nothing. However, after the update, the computer at my mechanics shop showed solenoid S1 had an issue. The thing is we both cant find any images for this transmission to find out where it is located.

Any advice would be very helpful

Thanks

Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your transmission.

But if you never or previous party change the transmission oil then start saving today for another transmission.

Meanwhile do not change the oil or filter if you want to keep working this transmission few more weeks or days.

Good Luck.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 PM

It is worth changing the solenoid? Does anyone have a picture of where the solenoid is on the tranny?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Wondering which trans you have- Volvo or GM 4T65E? I think they stopped putting GM trans in the S80 at some point, but I dont know when. My 2002 has the GM trans, and my mechanic was shocked, as he just KNEW it had to be a Volvo!

Anyway, in the GM one of the solenoids controls the fluid pressure (EPC solenoid), one controls the torque converter (TCC), and there are two shift solenoids. I have had issues with the EPC on another GM trans. After replacing it, my trans worked perfectly for the next 50k, which is when I sold the vehicle.

However, you say your issue may be with the S1 solenoid, which I believe would control the 1-2 and 3-4 shift, and S2 controls the 2-3. (I think???)

If it were me, I would first check the fluid- does it seem dark, burned smelling, or feel gritty at all? Or is it fresh clear-red looking, and nice and slick? If it is burnt and/or gritty, it is probably the remains of the clutch material, and that grit is all that is keeping the clutches engaging. Time for a rebuild, or replacement. Since this is likely the GM trans, most any trans shop likely has experience working on them- pretty common for GM front drive vehicles. Shop around. The only issue is they may not be familiar with what is involved to pull it- dropping the sub frame and trans from the bottom while supporting the engine from the top. Really not that difficult, but there are plenty of idiots out there who could screw it up.

But assuming the fluid looks nice and clean, fresh- then I might want to replace all the solenoids and the filter while I have the pan off. Why chance going back in there for the low price of these things, versus the labor you have to put into it? There may even be a solenoid kit for this. I know there is a shift kit for this trans that is supposed to help with some issues (but not worn out clutches!)

Check this site out: Cascade Transmission Parts Online Store - 4T65E

Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's the GM Transmission. I changed the oil right after I noticed the problem and it was dirty (however I did not change it for awhile), but the problem then went away for 2 weeks. However, it then rapidly became worse shortly there after.

It is interesting that the computer says the S1 solenoid because the shifting problem happens only in shifting from stop to 1st, 1st to the 2nd gear, and 3rd to the 4th so I don't know.
Do you think the computer is right and it might just be the solenoid?

Last edited by user13; 08-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can try to replace the valve body, it has all of the solenoids. but since it is the 4t65 im almost certain that it will need a transmission.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM

User13,

I faced the same situation in which you are and wasted 1 1/2 month for a solution and in the end my mechanic changed 3 used transmissions to get fix and the 3rd one got work.

My error code was same as you have S1. LONESTAR is right and as my first hand experience if your fluid is dirty enough like dark brown then its mean your clutch plates are gone now, TOP OF IT even if you change the Valve body it will not work because of internal slip which sends wrong signal to the valve body in return.

By the way I did try valve body replacement on my transmission which last 30 mins only and finally had decided to change the tranny.

Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the reply's, so it looks like the solenoid replacement did not work. =( What should my next step be? Do I get it rebuilt or do I try to buy a used tranny off eBay and give it to my mechanic?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 AM

User13

If you know any expert in transmissions rebuilt get it rebuilt in the first place and do get warranty for 6 months or year...you will never regret.

But if you have doubt about the rebuilt guys in your area then go for used one must be less than 50 K Miles on them and their oil should be neat and clean along warranty.

Rebuilt costs more then buying used one I guess and take more time either..whereas replacing with used one get the job done in 2 days maximum.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 AM

i read the entire (old) string from 2013. I am about to buy a 2002 s80 with GM trans and will not move forward or backwards. I am assuming same or related problem as discussed here. Before I buy, I am seeking replacement transmission or person who will rebuild what I have. I looked at a video....holy crap transmissions have a lot of moving parts so I wont be rebuilding it my self. I was not privy to the recent fluid change, but the seller tells me there were lots of metal shavings on the pan magnet both before the fluid change and a few weeks after..... when the transmission got worse and totally failed. Most of the used trannys I find are out of the cars and I have no idea what kind of mileage is on them. Thats a lot of work not to get at least 50,000 miles out of a used one. Rebuild seems like a better use of ones time and money. Any updated advice or experience?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:17 AM

schneidm, No matter how much mechanic assure the long life of used transmission .....Do not get it fit if you want to keep the car. Overhauling or rebuild is expensive but you will happier only longer trips. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 PM

So my 2002 S80 with 150k miles has the GM transmission and is starting to act up between the 1-2 shift. It seems like it goes into neutral, then slams into gear hard. I have made a few phone calls and had a couple of shops look at it, and both say they could possibly find a bad solenoid that is causing the problem, but they are all in the side pan, which they say requires dropping the trans. Dropping the trans requires supporting the engine from above, removal of the driveshafts, dropping the subframe, then pulling the trans. Something like 8 hours as per the book. Minimum charge for the labor is about $800 just to do this. I'm told rebuilding with the standard kit (all the wear parts, seals, gaskets...) is $1400.00. If there are broken hard parts above the standard kit, it could go up to $1800.00. This rebuild gives me a 3 month warranty. I can buy a longer warranty if I want, but it doesn't get me a different rebuild.

All this is to give you some idea what the cost are in my part of the country (Texas), and the cost to patch it up (which may not work in the end) versus a full rebuild that should work for another 150k miles.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:20 PM

In my research, I phoned an independent Volvo shop, and they recommended checking the codes, and if nothing major comes up, a full fluid change and clear all computer codes, then driving it so the new fluid can possibly clear out any obstructions in the valve body. They say this can often take up to 200 miles, but they have seen positive results. I suspect this would have to be a transmission with lower mileage (

Old 04-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Worth a shot.

An interesting aside is that Cadillac owners have the same sort of reliability experience on the solenoids and valve body as you would. They are difficult to get to. There is a question if you do access the side pan, do you replace all of them "just in case" or not. So beyond that there is the question of the overhaul. I would be inclined to do that for $600, if that is what they mean by $1400. They must be a pretty good shop.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 04-14-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 PM

I too have a 2004 S80 T6 with the GM transmission. I tried everything people are listing to no avail.

As majorcode stated and from my experience, it's time to rebuild the transmission. It cost me $3300.00 at a non-dealer volvo specialty shop.

In my research, the GM transmission when installed, can only handle a few more horse power than the T6 generates. This transmission on non-T6 models are fine, but with the turbo's it prematurely wears out the tranny, even with normal driving.

Sorry...