Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2009 Volvo S80 Rotors problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Volvo S80 Rotors problems

Hello all NOOB here to the site. I have a 2009 Volvo s80 v8 AWD. Love the car but I am having trouble with my rotors.

Some background:
I have had the car since summer this year. It currently has about 7000 miles on it. I have put custom wheels on it. The stock rims were 18's and chrome, really heavy. I now have 19" all round Asanti 3 piece wheels that are way lighter than the stock ones. I think they are an inch wider too.

A couple months ago one of my co-workers (who also is part time mechanic) noticed that the rotors on the back passenger side looked like it had "grooves" in it. I also noticed it and took it into a volvo/rusnak dealership. They changed the rotors said everything should be fine. I asked if it had anything to do with the aftermarket wheels and they claimed it had nothing to do with it. They said the problem was something had gotten in between my brake pad and the rotor which caused the grooves.

It hasn't even been 2 months since they replaced the back rotors and they are definitely doing the same problem again, but now on all of them including the front ones. My mom has a volvo wagon and when you look at hers (her car has 50000 miles) they are smoothe looking. When you look at mine and feel them they have deep lines in it and when you touch them it is not smooth.

I took the volvo back last week for an oil change. I told them to look at the brakes again and when they gave me back the car they told me everything was fine. But i dont think it is alright when you compare it to another volvos rotors.

Anyways what do you guys think is causing the rotors to ware the way they are? Is it because of the bigger and wider rim combo? Is it the way I am driving? Too hard on the brakes or something?

The car is a lease and I am thinking about taking it back to the dealership where I got it since the other volvo place has looked at it once and now doesn't want to anymore. Would love to hear back any suggestions on what the problem is and what I should do? Thanks for any help

Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

well your new rims have nothing to do with your rotors (in this case) neither does the way you drive (in this case, again)

its hard to say whats wrong, you MAY from time to time see LINES on the rotors and may feel SMALL grooves from the way a NEW pad wears on a NEW rotor, this may be normal...i say call the service dude at the original dealer where you got the car and ask them whats up, maybe they know about a problem that is circulating with your model year....

but other than that there is not much you can do, i know it depends on the way you drive but in general OEM pads should last up to 3 years (50.000KM) and rotor up to twice that if you are lucky and easy on your brakes...call the dealer!!