Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Air Filter greasy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter greasy

I removed the air filter from the car and found a bit of grease along the edge of the filter. What was causing this? How to fix it? It's a 99 S80 T6. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Air Filter greasy

Just along the foam edge?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Just along the foam edge?
Hello Tech

Thanks for your reply. Yes, just along the edge. The paper area seemed to be dry, but black. When I touched the edge, I had grease on my finger. Unfortunately, I have already dumped the old filter, otherwise, I can take a photo and post it here.

Any idea what's wrong here? What can I do to fix it? Thanks.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Maybe someone sprayed something on the filter when they installed it because the lid is hard to get on.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:05 AM

Hello Tech

Any chance that the engine oil may escape through the air intake hose and deposit on the air filter?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

No it cannot since it is before the engine.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Default RE: Air Filter greasy ...Or was it fraud??

Hello Tech. Thanks for your reply. This is the actual story:

One day I took my S80 to a franchised quick lube stop for an oil change. When I arrived, there was no car at the bay, everyone was idle. As soon as I pulled in to the bay, 5 of them started to work on my car - in addition to oil change, they also cleaned my windshield, checked fluid levels, checked tire pressure, etc. Looked pretty well organized to me. This was my first visit to this lube stop. One of the technicians ask me for my personal info. I was out side my car (just outside the driver's door, but backing onto the car). As I was answering those questions, another technician came to me with an air filter in his hand. He said it was the air filter removed from my car and its rim was full of grease and the paper was black - full of carbon. I touched the rim and my finger was black. The grease was pretty thick - at least 1/5 of an inch. He held AF towards the sky and said the filter was so dirty that we couldn't see any light through it. He suggest I replaced it. It wasn't too expensive. So I agreed. Then he went on to say that the reason the AF was full of grease was because my engine was dirty and the unburned fuel and engine oil escape from the engine and went out through the air intake hose and ended up depositing on the AF. I said the exhaust fume should go out through the exhaust pipe. He said my engine is dirty and the valves are dirty therefore they do not close firmly.

He suggested I clean the fuel system. The product they used was called "Run Lite Professional Fuel System Cleaner" (made by C.A.T. Products of Pennsylvanian) at a cost of $80. I have never seen such a dirty air filter before and I was wondering what was wrong with my S80. I was wonder if I should do as he suggested or not. I've never heard of this product and was wondering if this product was suitable of the S80 or not. So I refused to do it.

Since there was large amount of black grease on the rim of the AF, and if what the guy told me was true, then there should also be some black grease inside the AF box as well. After Tech's last reply, I opened the AF box and fund it dry and clean - only a bit of dust, which looked normal to me. There was absolutely no grease inside the AF box or cover. I used a tissue paper to clean the inside of the intake hose. The paper came out clean - no grease, no carbon!!!

Tech, do you think that dirty air filter was really removed from my car? Or was it fraud??

Old 08-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

It could have been removed. Like I stated before sometimes people use grease or silicon when installing the lid because it is a pita to get on. But the air moves the opposite way so no way oil or grease can get there from the engine.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 PM
fs

Thats a great story.....would have been helpful in the origanal post...."They instead of I"......

I think "they" pulled the ole' sucker customer trick on you.....seems to me the guys were bored and were just trying to milk some $ from you...

Good detective work on your part thou with wiping the stuff with a rag.....

If you go back there again see if they will "flush the blinker fluid" and see what the say....

Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 PM

you cant really be positive about things you think may or may not have happened with your car unless you are a little more car savy.. just being honest.. i mean.. did the filter even look like it fit your car? its difficult to get an honest opinion of the situation. and i mean.. techs over the years have given us a bad name. ... untrustworthy... which has nothing to do with the tech him/herself. so.. just because you did see some squirrely activity doesnt necessarily mean wrongdoing was going on. then again...times are tough.. maybe they were trying to make a sale. unless you know a technician as a friend or you regular mechanic for years.... its a guessing game as to wether or not you can trust them... seriously...