Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Alarm Service Required now sunroof quit out of no where????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Service Required now sunroof quit out of no where????

About a year ago I heard my alarm going off for no reason around 2am. I went out and disarmed it and then locked the car again. Went back to bed. About an hour later sure enough same thing. Alarm going off....I pulled the fuse until I could look further next day.

I installed the fuse and went to work and sure enough someone came in while at work and said "Hey, your car alarm is going off". I treked out and sure enough it was and pulled the alarm fuse again.

I am getting a code on the digital display that says "Alarm service required" and now out of no where my sunroof quit. It was working just fine a day ago and today nothing. I am going to place the fuse back in the alarm and see if it causes the sunroof to work. I checked the sunroof fuse on the drivers fuse box and it's intact. Is there another relay for the sunroof or such I can check also? Possibly under the hood or what not? The book/manual isn't showing anything but I know most here are super savy and might now another work around.

I'm also going to pull the + battery for about a half hour to see if it resets anything also. When I lock the car the lights flash and my red light on the dash blinks. I just don't want the alarm going off anymore for no reason but man, I miss my sunroof and it's only been two days without it. You don't realize what you had until it's gone. Some people don't realize they even open the sunroof because it became routine. I would just get in and open it. Now I go to the switch and then go "oh yeah no worky"!!!!! Two day's later and I still reach to open it.....ARGGGGG

Thanks guys if anyone can offer assistance with this.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Well after some thought I totally forgot to mention something and after some reading I think it could be related due to the siren's location.

About two weeks ago my wife hit the front end of my S80 against a very high curb head on. She was pulling into a parking spot and miss judged and tapped the front cowing against the curb. It was hard enough that is broke my left fog light bracket, bent the front cowing so bad it flex chipped the paint and scratched it up pretty bad. It "Also" popped the plastic clips on the top bumper cover where the "Volvo" emblem is in front of the radiator. I think there is about 5 plastic snap clips, they all blew apart. On top of that and here's the kicker it popped the plastic part of the front bumper cover away from the right fender wall in front of the right front tire. Where the right fender front meets the hood where the front turn signal is it's raised so I think it really moved things.This is where the siren is located and I wonder if something jarred loose or something triggered something. I'm glad I read up on the siren issues and seen it's location before taking it in to get the car fixed for the damage......

Keep in mind the sunroof was working after the accident and I'm in the process of getting estimates, however I wonder if it could be related? Now I'm debating taking it to a volvo dealer who has a body shop and having this done right. No offense against body shops but I want to be sure if anything was damaged in the front end that it's 100% fixed and done correctly. It's going thru my insurance and right now quotes to replace front bumper and repaint are in the $1,700 ball park. I can only imagine if they rip it apart and find even more....All from bumping into a curb......

Old 06-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spankey, my alarm siren crapped out of me recently and my sunroof died as well. It turns out that they are on the same electrical loop so if one goes so does the other..

Unfortunately the s80's are complicated like that.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=17479

Thats a great writeup on how to change it. I purchased a used (with warranty) siren for $75 and paid my mechanic less than an hour labour to change it. Just rememeber that you will need to replace the wheel arch rivets once you take them off.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Turns out I'm ok! When my alarm was going off some time ago I pulled the alarm fuse! The sunroof worked since then so I didn't car not having the siren! I decided to replace the alarm fuse today for the heck of it and sure enough the sunroof functioned again!

Funny thing is the service alarm light went out right away! I was living with it on for over year.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Any idea which fuse was for the alarm or how to find it yourself?

I am having the same issue with S40 and would like to pull the fuse out, but there is not such as "ALARM" marked in the owner's manual on neither the engine or the inside fuse box.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 AM

That's odd? I will check my manual and fuse box later. Do u show a fuse that says siren? It may be that? I do know it was a fuse inside the car and not under the hood! Now that I replaced the fuse again my alarm seems to be working fine and my sunroof functions so I'm happy!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM

My fuse was #38 inside the car and was marked alarm siren. Hope that helps!
Spank!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Thanks Spankey! I haven't tested it yet, but I think I found what is the reason of my alarm going bananas, most probably it is the hood alarm sensor. Once the alarm goes randomly off there is no way I can stop it even if I turn on the car and start driving, but if I open the hood and then close it, the alarm immediately turns off.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM

What happens if you just cut the wires going to the alarm module?

I just spent $1500 replacing the dash electonic board....