Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Anyone with K@N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with K@N Air Filter

Hi folks

I am considering getting a K@N Air Filter for my 99 S80 but I noticed that it is more costly then the volvo OEM one. But I heard that they increase the fuel millege and increase the hoursepower and performance of the car. So I would like some input from anyone who has K@N Air Filters in their cars so I know its worth buying. Like how much MPG are they getting? Anyone seen improvement in performance in there cars?

Old 09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Anyone with K@N Air Filter

1. They cost more because they are reusable.

2. The increase mileage, but it isn't going to be anything huge. Maybe 2-5 extras miles to a gallon of gas.

3. They can increase your horsepower and torque, but you are only going to see like 5 more horses total.

I have had a K&N panel filter on my 1995 850 N/A. Nice filter.

However when you clean it make sure you don't over oil it or it can mess up the MAF.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Agreed they work great only use minor oil after cleaning.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest, up until recently I had always thought the hype about the K + N filters was just marketing lies.... but on speaking to a few of you and other people it looks like the air filter may actually make a difference... while I wont mind the additional hp, my main thing is to get some more economy out of the car... Id say at about 75 mph i get about 23mpg or so which is about average i would guess.. I cant say the car is a gas guzzler in particular, i just have a very spirited driving style.. Overall the cars maor tune up was done just abotu 2,000 miles ago so i should be clear.. Im seriously considering forking out the money to replace the oem air filter with the K + N though... think its worth the cost?
Even if it only gives about 3mpg extra per galon, thats the equivalent of getting another galon of gas for every 7 or so that I drive... meaning that at 3.80 a galon for premium, it will technically pay back for itself within about 3 fill ups at the pump (if my calculation is about correct)...

Is it worth swapping out my almost brand new OEM filter for it though? Regards the cleaning and oiling of the filter, how does that work?
thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would keep the OEM in for now or just by the new one and save it till you sell the car then sell the filter seperate.
You use soap and water to wash the filter. Once dry then spray a little oil on it and reinstall it.

On my wifes old Baretta I installed a cone style on there. Not to gain much power but to get better fuel economy. It did make a big difference on hers it went from 25MPG up to 31MPG with her driving the car.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On doing some further research im wondering a bit aboil the oiling of the K + N filter... how will the oil of the filter affect the MAF sensor on the volvos? I hear there is some risk of damage if the oil comes off the filter , some even claiming that they did not overdo the oil and this managed to happened..
So it comes back to this, does the risk outweigh the gain or vice verse... and exactly how much risk is there?

What other cheap modifications could be made on a car like this outside of regular maintainance to improve mpg and/or horsepower...

Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my K@N air filter arrived today in the mail but I notice that its smaller in size then the OEM filter. Like its a lot thiner. Is this how they are.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, they are thinner than the paper filter.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them in all my vehicles. As others have stated keep them clean and do not over oil. If you do that they will last forever. They do allow more CFM of air into the engine. I never really bought them for the HP increase but the small bump they give you in MPG. You probably will not get 3 more MPG but you will see a small increase. The payback in gas savings will be longer term but you basically are in the black once you pay for your third OEM paper filter.