Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Bad $tealership Experience Rant

Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Default Bad $tealership Experience Rant

Hey guys, i bought a 1999 S80 T6 just over a month ago and the private dealer gave me the history report that said there was one outstanding recall on the car. At this point the check engine light was on and the "emission service required" was indicated in the dash LCD.

Having experience with prior recalls on another vehicle i phoned up Volvo Canada (I live in Toronto) and gave them the VIN number to verify what the recall was for. They said the car needed new software for the ETM and that it was covered lifetime with no mileage limit and was free of charge.

The next day i went to the dealer (Volvo Villa of Thornhill) and told the guy at the counter this information. Right away when he heard the check engine light was on he said he has to charge me the CAN$118 diagnostic fee to find out IF the recall applied to my car. I "knew" it applied to my carsince i spoke to volvo and told him to go ahead with the service. (at the same time i asked them to throw on my winter tires that were already on rims which cost me $39.99+ tax).

After almost 3 hours the tech calls me to the counter and say's i have to pay the diagnostics fee because the recall was OPTIONAL but they still downloaded it and upgraded the ETM & because i had two bad oxygen sensors (one front and one rear) that needed replacement (quote was .....are you ready ...... $1378.XX labour, parts, and tax in).At this point i flipped out and started going off on this guy...they would not hand over the keys if i did not pay..i kept telling them recalls are done for free because it is Volvo's fault...

I was late for work and decided to pay and deal with them after, but to make things more interesting they guy at the counter charged my visa the wrong amount...instead of $178.XX tax in he charged me $60.XX so i signed the slip and left feeling happy because he did not notice this. When i got home i phoned visa to double check and they said that Volvo charged me a second time ( the remainder of the $178 at 5:20PM while i was at work) i guess they hadmy Visa info on the original receipt and punched it in manually when they realized they short charged me.

I flipped out again and phoned them the next day, to say that they were uncooperative would be an understatement, i spoke to 3 different people and no one returned my calls, no one would explain why i was charged for the recall. They tried to blame my oxygen sensors for the charge but i argued that i went in for the recall i never asked to check the ECU for codes...i phoned visa and they said if Volvo has no signature for the second payment they would cancel the charge.

At this point Volvo canada got involved and after a WEEK, the head office rep calls me and tell me HE HAS NO LUCK reaching the dealer's manager and they dont return his calls and that i should call visa to investigate the second charge...after several more phonecalls back and fourth they said they are not sure how long it would take to figure out what to do, one day after that Volvo headoffice calls me with good news that they have refunded me the money..

This is something i dont want to go through again so will never go to that dealer again, i had a buddy scan the car and indeed the same codes appeared, he replaced the sensors for me which still cost an arm and a leg (340 front, 260 rear + 80 labour, no tax , $780)...i hope no one has to go through this with their volvo...

Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Default RE: Bad $tealership Experience Rant

In the dictionary under the word "lemon" they should have picture of the S80.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Yeah, they can quote you $500, charge you $1500, and if you refuse or can't pay they get to keep your car by putting a mechanic's lien on it. And it's all done with the help of the legal injustice system. So no "crime" has been committed.

You know, many **** soldiers were just family men doing a job. Didn't make it any more "right" though. []

Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 PM

well would next time take a loaner , that way if they say they wont give you your car back, you simply say then I wont give the loaner car back lol. Each loaner That I have received is a Volvo s60 2.5T AWD 2006ish/2007ish lol. So its newer than my car lol.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM

haha i wish i got a loaner, i would have told them to keep the S80, too bad, oh well, at least i drank like 5 free coffee's while i was waiting in their customer lounge. thats why i must have been fired up so much.....oh and the darn playstation 2 that they had there was broken too ;-( lol

Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 AM

I'm not sure what the law is where you are, but where I used to live in Nevada, they had to give you a written estimate. They couldn't go over the estimate by more than 10% without getting approval. If they didn't get approval and did the work anyway, any cost over the 10% above the estimate was free to the customer.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: andrei3333

Hey guys, i bought a 1999 S80 T6 just over a month ago and the private dealer gave me the history report that said there was one outstanding recall on the car. At this point the check engine light was on and the "emission service required" was indicated in the dash LCD.

Having experience with prior recalls on another vehicle i phoned up Volvo Canada (I live in Toronto) and gave them the VIN number to verify what the recall was for. They said the car needed new software for the ETM and that it was covered lifetime with no mileage limit and was free of charge.

The next day i went to the dealer (Volvo Villa of Thornhill) and told the guy at the counter this information. Right away when he heard the check engine light was on he said he has to charge me the CAN$118 diagnostic fee to find out IF the recall applied to my car. I "knew" it applied to my carsince i spoke to volvo and told him to go ahead with the service. (at the same time i asked them to throw on my winter tires that were already on rims which cost me $39.99+ tax).

After almost 3 hours the tech calls me to the counter and say's i have to pay the diagnostics fee because the recall was OPTIONAL but they still downloaded it and upgraded the ETM & because i had two bad oxygen sensors (one front and one rear) that needed replacement (quote was .....are you ready ...... $1378.XX labour, parts, and tax in).At this point i flipped out and started going off on this guy...they would not hand over the keys if i did not pay..i kept telling them recalls are done for free because it is Volvo's fault...

I was late for work and decided to pay and deal with them after, but to make things more interesting they guy at the counter charged my visa the wrong amount...instead of $178.XX tax in he charged me $60.XX so i signed the slip and left feeling happy because he did not notice this. When i got home i phoned visa to double check and they said that Volvo charged me a second time ( the remainder of the $178 at 5:20PM while i was at work) i guess they hadmy Visa info on the original receipt and punched it in manually when they realized they short charged me.

I flipped out again and phoned them the next day, to say that they were uncooperative would be an understatement, i spoke to 3 different people and no one returned my calls, no one would explain why i was charged for the recall. They tried to blame my oxygen sensors for the charge but i argued that i went in for the recall i never asked to check the ECU for codes...i phoned visa and they said if Volvo has no signature for the second payment they would cancel the charge.

At this point Volvo canada got involved and after a WEEK, the head office rep calls me and tell me HE HAS NO LUCK reaching the dealer's manager and they dont return his calls and that i should call visa to investigate the second charge...after several more phonecalls back and fourth they said they are not sure how long it would take to figure out what to do, one day after that Volvo headoffice calls me with good news that they have refunded me the money..

This is something i dont want to go through again so will never go to that dealer again, i had a buddy scan the car and indeed the same codes appeared, he replaced the sensors for me which still cost an arm and a leg (340 front, 260 rear + 80 labour, no tax , $780)...i hope no one has to go through this with their volvo...

Andrei, call this number to see if you can get a reimbursement from Volvo: 1-800-283-0117

More information here: http://www.etmsettlementdocuments.com/2008/faq.html#Q5

Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: andrei3333

haha i wish i got a loaner, i would have told them to keep the S80, too bad, oh well, at least i drank like 5 free coffees while i was waiting in their customer lounge. thats why i must have been fired up so much.....oh and the darn playstation 2 that they had there was broken too ;-( lol
If "right" and "wrong" (not to be confused with legal and illegal) worked both ways it wouldnt be an effective injustice system. You would have immediately been arrested, had a felony on your record, and probably ended up homeless on the street.

Moral of story: the law was designed so the little guy always gets screwed, no matter who really did wrong.