Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Battery Voltage Low?

Old 09-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Default Battery Voltage Low?

I'm had this message come up twice now, the first time if went of in a couple minutes, and nothing came of it.

The second was yesterday and it stayed on for about 5-10 minutes, then parked the car for about 7 hours and the battery was dead.

Jumped the car and made it home, no message, and the car started fine this morning.

It's almost like the alternator is randomly charging, but I thought if there were any charging system issues a warning light would come on?

HELP, I'd like to buy a new battery, but I don't want to trash it if something else is causing the issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc
2002 Volvo S80 T6

Old 09-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Default RE: Battery Voltage Low?

Same thing has happened to my car. Ended up replacing battery and alternator. Bought used alternator from Erie Vo Vo, life time guarrantee. I am not a sponser but I do own two Volvos and they have been helpfull.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Do you have a Digital Multi-Meter?

If so then start the car and check the output of the Alt.

It sounds like the Brushpack on the Alt. is going bad.

They can be bought seperatly for I think around $80.00 or so.

Usually a battery won't act like that.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:18 PM

I'm getting 13.08, which from what I recall is low, it should be closer to 14, right?

So, the alt. looks a little tight in there, are other things that need to be reomved to get it out, or can I work around most of it?

How long of a job?

Thanks,
M

Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

You should be closer to like 13.50 Volts or a little more.

You might have to remove the power steering pump to slide the Alt. out.

Is it a T-6 or Non-turbo? (Sorry I forget fast to many cars to Deal with)

Old 09-02-2006, 12:33 PM

T6, turbo.

Let me know if that makes a difference for anything.

I'll be calling around for parts, thanks for your help.

Marc

Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Shouldn't make that much of a Difference but they might ask how many Amps. the Alt. is.
You should be able to see what one it is by looking at the Back on the Black cover.

You might only be able to buy it from a Dealer though.

But still better than buying the Entire Alt. for like $350.00

Old 09-02-2006, 03:05 PM

I haven't look for a brush pack, just the Alt. itself, and I'm hearing between $240 & $310.

The one shop that I've always used mentioned that they normal just repair that one for customers (probably just a brush pack).

I'm planning on taking it to the Dealership that I bought it since it's within 30 days of purchase and make them do the repair and see about getting a discount on parts. I just don't have the time to dive in right now, with both my jobs and a 15 week old daughter.

Thanks for the help,

Marc :beer:

Old 09-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I hear you on the time Issue I have 4 Kids here.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:15 PM

Well, I went through the tests with my neighbor, he is a certified mechanic and he said it would appear to be the battery, but could be a combination of both the voltage regulator and battery. He said try the battery first and if that's not the fix he'll get a discount rate on parts (we'll see).

So, the battery wasn't the resolution, I'll be order parts through him today or tomorrow.

Do I need to remove the alt. to replace the voltage regulator? It almost seems that I can get at it once the engine is cool, but I'm sure you guys have tired...

Thanks for all the help,

Marc

Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Yes you need to remove it to replace the regulator.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:52 PM

I had this exact same problem happen to me over the past two days in my 2001 S80 T6.

The low battery voltage warning came on twice, this morning lasted longer then yesterday.
It died this morning after I parked it and I had it jumped now it seems to work fine.

Did it turn out to be the voltage regulator or the battery or both? Not sure what I should check out first in my case.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

If the car was running and the message was there most likely the regulator.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:21 PM

The message has not shown up today, everything seems to be fine, how much do you think it will cost to replace the voltage regulator?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Not 100% sure but if you just by the part I think it is like $100.00.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM

I called the local Volvo dealership and they told me the part cost is $135 and if wanted them to install it that cost an additional $320 in labor. I thought it was not that complicated to install and not sure why labor is $320.

Any good web sites that you recommend I look at to see if I can get the part at a better deal?

Thanks

Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Administrator

http://www2.swedishpartswholesale.co...=null&dp=false
Thats the only one I have found.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 PM

That's a one two places I found, then I just spoke with my neighbor who owns a repair shop, he ordered the part and it's supposed to be in today, I should be back up and running by today or tomorrow.

I replaced the battery, but I could have held out, I just figured a new one would be better when Winter hits in a few months.

I also found that there might have been or is a mouse in my dash, I found a nest of insulation. I'm posting an different inquiry on this to see if anyone is familiar with under the dash, specifically under the glove compartment.

Good Luck,
Marc

Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 AM

Well, I got my car back this evening and it seems to be fixed, but my moring commute will be the final determining factor.

The only thing is my neighbor replaced the whole alternator, when I asked him to just replace the volt. reg.

I didn't get in it with him since the alternator and labor was $280, I figured I couldn't go wrong incase the Alt. was going too.

Oh well, that probably ruins what results some of you were looking to hear.

I'm just happy to have my ride back, the commute on the motorcycle was a little cold today with the temp in the 50's.

Thanks,
Marc

Old 09-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Better than Over $300.00 alone just for parts for the Alt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Voltage Low?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.