Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Black headlight housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black headlight housing

Hey all, after searching the internet and this forum..I wasn't able to find what I was looking for. Eventually down the road I want to do some slight modifications to my S80. The two that come to mind right now is Blacked out de-badged grill and the black housing for the headlights instead of clear/chrome. I found a picture on the internet of what I was looking for, but it was on a newer model S80. Being new to Volvos I don't know what exterior parts match up to what generations and what isn't compatible and all of that. I have the picture attached in this post. The user S70Driver has that enormous list in his signature for OEM parts, but I could not find what I was looking for. If anyone also knows where to get a black mesh grille or good quality aftermarket parts, let me know! Thanks for reading.

Tyler

Attached Thumbnails Black headlight housing-used_2004_volvo_s80_99174794005862772.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi welcome to the club..that blacked out housing only came on S80s with HID headlight. if you have chrome ones then yours is non - HID. Now i am not sure how you would remove the glass lens. i want to give it a try too. But no idea how to remove them.
Now i know that if you had plastic lens then one could simple warm it inside a oven. but for a glass not sure.
For the grill you could just plastic dip that grill i assume??

Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the reply! I was considering just plasti-dipping the current grille..still undecided on what I want to do there. I think I have glass headlights myself, I haven't checked. Can one simply buy the HID housing with lights and replace current headlights? as in would the plugs match up from the stock halogen connector to the HID connectors or will there have to be some retrofitting involved?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya i was also just thinking of plasti dip the grill too. i have seen on S60 forums and they do look nice. it depends what is the colour of the car. i think with black or white colour car will look much better than other colour exterior.
As for the HID..ummm i think you can do it like that. But then i was thinking for example front parking lights for non HID is in the high beam housing where as the parking light housing is in the either low beam or inside the front turn signal ( i maybe wrong on that). Then there is the DRL . From pictures i see from S80 owners who have HID . the DRL is turned on when the engine is running. however in non HID headlights the DRL is the main low beams when the engine is running
some one will have to double check on the above statements.
so ya there are some hurdles ..but i think it can be done if one plays around with it.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Sounds kind of complicated without looking at my car right now haha. If only there were just some black housings to buy where I could fit my old bulbs into that would be best. I'll probably switch to HIDs anyways, the stock bulbs on this S80 aren't very bright. I'm probably going to install a fog light kit eventually as well.