Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Brake pads/rotors for 17" wheels - same as for 16"?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads/rotors for 17" wheels - same as for 16"?

I have 2003 S80 T6 with 17" wheels which needs new brake pads and rotors (both front and back). When I went on AutoZone or Advance Auto parts website I see only selection of parts for 15" and 16" wheels. Are the pads and rotors for 17" wheels same as for 16"?

Also, do I need the special tool that compresses and turns the caliper for the rear? Any other special tools? This would be my first time replacing brakes on my Volvo but not the first brake job.

And while we are on the subject of wheels and tires, manual states that I should run 39PSI both front and rear. I always like to run a bit higher for better mileage and firmer ride. Am I OK with 41 PSI?

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

41 psi is ok, forget the manual, read the side of the tire, it will tell you what the maximum is,

remember, with high pressure the wheel compression decreases thus technically your stopping distance will increase in a panic situation

Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 AM

For the fronts you really need to measure the diameter of the brake disk because 2 different sizes were used. Parts that will fit inside a 16" wheel will work since the standard size was !6" and the upgrade was !7" (same size brakes). If it were me, I would buy my brakes from www.brakeperformance.com instead of Autozone.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 PM

The front rotors should be 12" or 305mm the 17" alloy wheels are a option for 16" vehicles, but you will have to measure the front rotor hat, flip the rotor over and measure end to end with a standard measuring tape. Do not purchase AutoZone "quality" brake components they are junk. Front rotors and pads must be OEM quality, Brembo, Zimmerman, ATI, ETC. Front pads are made by ATI. Rear rotors really do not matter, but the pads should be OEM quality, the rear pads are made by ATI. Napa or Carquest are ok if parts are made by OE suppliers, ATI.

PSI is personal choice base on vehicle weight MFR Min or Tire maker max see owners manual or Sticker on gas door.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 PM

The rear caliper does not need a special tool.
I use a large metal C-Clamp, the largest I could find at a local hardware store, to close the piston.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM

Thanks for replies.

I was actually looking at Raybestos rotors and pads from RockAuto.com. The premium grade (not the service grade). Does anybody have experience with those on Volvo?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think you should heed the advice and stick to the OEM brands such as brembo and zimmermann.. check out www.fcpgroton.com and see what they have on offer

Old 08-16-2009, 10:24 PM

Make sure the rotors and pads are of OE spec or you may find your cars braking capacity diminished (takes longer to stop) or the brakes/rotors will need to be replaced more often. Buy OEM break pads from the dealer or Buy from a vender that sell OE ATI Break pad sets.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Thumbs up brakes

Hi there
Just want to say someone recommended Akibono Euro Ceramic break pads.They said they are very good,never had'em but i would check into it.The OEM wore out very fast,had to replace the rear rotors.
Good luck

Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks for replies and recommendations.

Looks like going with OEM rotors and pads is cheaper than premium grade from RockAuto. I have priced the whole set (front and back, rotors and pads) at $298 (Brake Performance) or $332 (FCP Groton). RockAuto's premium grade was $368 shipped.

Do you guys know who makes rotors and pads for Brake Performance? I couldn't find manufacturer. FCP Groton ones were listed as original Volvo parts.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM

That's weird. When I compare complete disc kit vs individual parts on FCP Groton website, the kit is more expensive than individual parts. Comes down to $324 (kit) vs $287.

1 set of front pads
1 set of rear pads
2 front rotors
2 rear rotors

Am I missing something?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM

I just got of the phone with FCP Groton. Looks like parts are cheaper than the kit. Kit includes silicone grease that's about $10 but still kit costs little over $10 more. Of course sales rep told me that he can get me a kit for the lower price which is nice.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM

OK, I have ordered the whole set from FCP Groton. Total was $286.71 with OEM rotors and Akebono Euro pads and free ground shipping. Now I hope the heatwave here in NJ is going to be gone when they arrive so I am not going to sweat too much when installing them.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM

One more question being that I have plans on doing the same job on my 99S80 2.9 will changing the rotors affect any sensors ? I have had friends say that I have to be careful with sensors they do not own S80's but I'm fairly new I have been paying the mechanic mega bucks just for the name Volvo lol. And is there another way of knowing the rotor sze with out taking them out? I plan on checking an auto parts
here in NYC that has had alot of the parts i have changed available on demand so I want to make sure I get the right size rotors. Will the vin# help them with the size? Funny how my pads arent worn but the rotor has a little lip along the outer side thats making them squeel quite a bit.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM

DaWitch, my rotors pretty much show the same wear so I am going to replace them together with pads.

As to the rotor size, it is either 11" or 12" in the front. Back is 11". I took a regular ruler and measured the rotors without taking the wheels out on my lunch brake. I have 12" front, 11" back. My order from FCP Groton placed around 1pm already shipped. That's fast service. Price for OEM was better than any local store around me.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the recomendation (drabina) I will order it from FCP Groton I want to try to do it this weekend if possible so if I order it thursday yuou think that by saturday I'd have them or is that wishful thinking. Also do I have to worry about any messages like brake failure or anything like that ? and is it a fairly easy job Im not a novice to doing mechanical work but none of my car where Europeon cas Just Jap & American & no computer systems which read all the cars components like the S80

Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM

FCP Groton shipped my parts from CT but if you really want them to arrive on Saturday, you better order the parts tomorrow.

As to the job, it is going to be my first time so I can't give you any pointers. I did brakes to other cars that I owned so I do not think that Volvo is going to be any different.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Update on shipment (for vikingpwr): I have ordered the rotors and pads from FCP Groton 1pm yesterday and today the package is "out for delivery" when I check status on UPS.com website. It is only CT to NJ but you may be able to order Thursday and get it Friday (giving that you are going to be home when they deliver the package).

Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 PM

Yeah I have done brakes before on my cars 77 Gran Prix 76 Camaro 85 Toiyota Corolla. My hobby car Mazda RX7's all 3 that i had 1 99 Mercury Sable wagon & a Taurus which I think was an 01. So i guess aside of the RX who's rear rotors needed a special tool it should be easy to do the volvo so sensors hopefully

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Default brakes and rotors

Good luck with the brakes installation,wish i can give some pointers but haven't worked on the Volvo at all..only replaced a light bulb..became disabled and can't do what i used to do but anyway..hate to do this but there's another site.... MatthewsVolvo.com they have picture by picture and all of that installation .If you feel like it check it out..replaced my rear rotors and pads at Midas couple of yrs ago..pretty good so far for around $350...Take care and good luck..talk to ya soon ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pads/rotors for 17" wheels - same as for 16"?