Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

A/C Cuts out when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buzztyme, how do you know the High Pressure Switch is turning it off? If that were the case it would most likely come back on as the pressures equalize, but if you haven't tested the pressures with a set of gauges, then you are just guessing. Also, the way you described the cooling fan operation sounds completely normal. Maybe you should read that again and reword the description ...and, again, check the fans while you are watching the AC cycle on and off, and note the pressures. Plus, your assumption that if it were a clutch shim or wear problem that it should try to come back on??? Not so! Once the clutch starts failing it might not ever come back on at some stage of the operation ...at least until you bump it with a big stick! But, that can be a bit dangerous to do properly, so proceed with great caution. At this point ...I'm thinking you probably are actually dealing with a clutch problem, but you need to post up some pressure readings for us if possible.
-Roger

Old 12-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Default S80 overheating only when the a/c is on

Hello everyone!
The problem with my S80 is overheating when my a/c is on. When i do not run my a/c the temperature is norml. What should i do to solve the issue? Please, i will appreciate any good urgent suggestions to solve this issue once and for all. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Default S80 overheating only when the a/c is on

Hello everyone!
The problem with my S80 is overheating when my a/c is on. When i do not run my a/c the temperature is norml. What should i do to solve the issue? Please, i will appreciate any good urgent suggestions to solve this issue once and for all. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Does the radiator fan come on when the AC is running on a warm day? Sounds like the AC circuit that kicks on the radiator fan may be keeping the fan from coming on and thus the car risks over heating. Start by seeing the the radiator fan comes on normally when the AC is off then kick on the AC to see if the fan stops. From there you need to check relays and fuses or possibly the fan control circuitry (wiring diagrams can be found on line).

Old 01-31-2020, 02:39 AM

Hello everyone!
Thanks to you guys, I have been able to resolve the overheating issue with my S80. But now is the gearbox. The message on my dashboard is "Vaxellade Serv. Omgaende", in English meaning gearshift. My question is, if I service the gearbox by changing the gear oil, will that alone solve the problem. Though it seems the oil is due because over a year I have been driving the car I haven't service it. I will appreciate any quick response. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Exclamation 2017 XC60 Air Conditioner

All: After about 60-90 minutes of highway driving (70-80mph) in weather 80-92 degrees the air conditioner stops producing cold air. While in FL the dealer replaced a solenoid and valve. Worked fine around town, but as soon as we got on the road back to NC, we felt the ac diminish. We turned the fan speed to maximum, air flow but not cold air. Sweating while driving is not the end of the world, but it was not fun.

Took vehicle to car today in NC and they were unable to duplicate. No error codes in the computer. They did not have resources to do the 60-90 min highway drive. I understand in some ways, but I am pissed. They asked me to do the test drive and when it stops working to immediately drive the car to the dealer. Any suggestions?

Q

Old 10-13-2020, 07:04 PM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Quest
All: After about 60-90 minutes of highway driving (70-80mph) in weather 80-92 degrees the air conditioner stops producing cold air. While in FL the dealer replaced a solenoid and valve.
I have heard/read that there is a software update - something about the ac getting too cold on long drives and freezing up - (on the newer cars)

Old 10-14-2020, 09:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Fairly new car but I would take the modesty panel in front of the windshield. off and see if a bunch of junk is down there clogging up airflow. It's easy to do on the Volvos I've owned (but I haven't had a '17 XC60).

Old 06-15-2022, 07:54 PM
Default Same problem with AC

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
Weather was seriously hot today down here in Fl and I was in the interstate getting nice cold A/C
Within 30 seconds of getting off and being stuck in traffic lights the A/C started getting progressively warmer. I took it off for about 3 or 4 minutes then tried again and it worked fine all the way to my house (another 5 mins)..

Any ideas about why this sort of thing keeps on happening?
Finally someone with the exact same problem. AC works great on highway but shuts down in stop n go traffic. The clutch then is the issue. Don't want to take it to the dealer for the costs and afraid to take it to mechanics who do not know how to work on volvos. I like to know exactly what it is before someone says it needs a new compressor. Sounds like shimming it is the answer. Will a mechanic shim it?
​​​​​​