Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Clunking Noise in Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clunking/Knocking Noise in Front End? (2004 S80 T6)

I have a 2004 Volvo S80 T6, and I've been hearing noise in the front end, which seems to be caused my multiple things. It might actually be two different problems but I won't know until I fix one..

The most annoying one is when I take my foot off the gas pedal I hear a clunk/popping noise, not very bad sounding but not good either. When I put my foot back on the gas it (sometimes) clunks again. This doesn't happen all the time with it in Drive, however in Manual mode it happens a lot more. It's most noticed while sitting in stop and go traffic and I can feel it slightly in the gas pedal especially at slower speeds.

While in Manual mode, I can leave it in gear and when I take my foot off the gas and it will happen every time.

I really think it's driveline slop of some sort, as when I go to accelerate again it suddenly kicks in semi-harshly.

There seems to be some relation of medium braking as well, but I'm not sure if it's just a different clunk. But when braking relatively hard, like when stopping for an upcoming yellow light, right before the car comes to a complete stop you hear a clunk, I can't feel it as much and it sounds more like it comes from the front left driver side, but it's pretty loud with the windows down, it sounds more like a pop or loud click, it's hard to explain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by josephku; 08-18-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Default CV joint

Sounds to me like one of your CV joints is going bad. Can you tell if it's on one side or the other?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Florida Wheel
Sounds to me like one of your CV joints is going bad. Can you tell if it's on one side or the other?
Both CV shafts were replaced recently. The driver side was replaced ~15,000 miles ago, and the passenger side ~5,000 miles.

But it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side.

Also, I seemed to fix the clunk when coming to a stop (as of now at least), I found the strut bar bolt on the passenger side was loose, so I tightened it up and feels a little better in general, and it seems to not make the clunk right before coming to a stop.. However it still makes noise when shifting, and still feels like the drive line has some slop in it.

Any ideas?

Old 08-20-2015, 01:11 PM

There is a drag link that goes from the sway bar to the strut. I have had several of them go out and make a clunk or rattle. The ball joint connection gets loose and is difficult to see when connected.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boboso
There is a drag link that goes from the sway bar to the strut. I have had several of them go out and make a clunk or rattle. The ball joint connection gets loose and is difficult to see when connected.
Are there any specific signs of failure, or is it just play in the link I should be looking for?

Old 04-20-2019, 04:01 PM

New owner of an '05 T5 with 100k miles, has the clunking issue. Confirmed it needs seats, bought HDs from IPD. Wondering what else I should get done at this point. Sway bar ends sounds like a good idea, but also wondering about struts and shocks. Suggestions? Would like not to have to revisit the front end at least for another 50k, but don't want to waste money replacing parts that don't need it. Thanks in advance!
-HT

Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

clunks are typically from three areas 1) spring seats are most common 2) sway bar end links. IPD sells HDs for these too. one bolt on/off when you are doing the struts. 3) sway bar bushings. worth an inspection. You need to separate the subframe to install sway bars - but I've never tried to replace the bushings on an existing bar so best to ask around. 4) best to also inspect ball joints/control arm bushings. FCP Euro sells a Lemforder control arm kit for about $330 with new control arms, ball joints and tie rod ends - if you have the struts out it may be worth doing all at one if you feel the handling is off. If its simply the noise and the car is tight, do the inspection and go from there - you may only need to do the seats and get an alignment

Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Thanks very much for the info, will check out the kit. I'm leaning toward doing it all- besides the sketchy steering at speed, feels like the suspension just doesn't have the travel that it should over bumps. Hate to take such a big hit right off the bat, but I pretty well knew when I bought it that this was coming. Thanks again!