Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Cold start up noises???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start up noises???

I have searched and searched and can not come up with anything related to my issue. Probably because I am not exactly sure what to search under, but I have tried a variety of different “topics” and still come up with nothing.

I noticed, particularly when starting up cold that there is a noise that sounds almost like a grinding, but not a true grinding, sound it’s really hard to explain. It happens right after I release the key from the starting position and lasts less than a second or two. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the engine. I have not had a chance to look under the hood while someone starts the car, but that is my next move. Has anyone run across this? I wish I could be more descriptive, but that’s all I seem to have: cold start-up grinding noise….

Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM

It might be your starter. I have had the same problem when starting the engine when it's cold out. My problem would not happen when starting the engine that's already warm. I would characterize the noise sound as a shrill metalic grinding and came from the driver's side of the engine compartment, which is also where the starter is located. The colder it is, the longer the sound would last. Here's a general description of the problem:

The starter drive gear that meshes with the teeth on your engine's flywheel might be sticking and not releasing all the way at times. When the key is turned to the start position, the starter's drive gear, which sits back out of the way of the engine's flywheel, is pushed out into the flywheel teeth to turn the engine. When you release the key, a spring is used to pull the drive gear away from the flywheel teeth. It's possible that the spring may be weak and/or the drive gear may be sticking. If the starter's drive gear is causing the noise, the starter motor should be replaced.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM

That may very well be the problem… If that is the case, do you think I should be concerned about the possibility of the starter damaging the teeth on the engines flywheel from interfering with the drive gear?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same problem, it gets worse in sub zero temperatures, but its essentially the same issue, right after the engine catches on it kinda give you this screech/grind sound for a split second.

i have had a bad starter in another car, and it is a little similar. took like a week to die so if it gets worse i will change it, but for now its just an annoying sound...

Old 12-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem good to know its the starter. The dealer could not figure it out. I guess I wait till the starter goes out. I got brand new fly wheel so I hope the starter won't mess up the flywheel. Although I have life time warranty now so it's all good.

I have a 2010 XC60 T6 AWD with 137k miles.

Last edited by farginxc60; 12-29-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’d be interested to know the resolution to this noise after starting. I took my 2013 C70 (~17000 miles on it) to the dealer thinking it might be the Bendix gear not releasing properly. They installed a new starter but the noise remained. No damage to the flywheel or Bendix gear found. Old starter was reinstalled but the mechanic is stumped.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach-bum
I’d be interested to know the resolution to this noise after starting. I took my 2013 C70 (~17000 miles on it) to the dealer thinking it might be the Bendix gear not releasing properly. They installed a new starter but the noise remained. No damage to the flywheel or Bendix gear found. Old starter was reinstalled but the mechanic is stumped.
they could not find the problem they had the car for over a week and never found it. I have now sold the car and got a new xc60 good luck

The following users liked this post:
Beach-bum (09-11-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:54 PM

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, here’s how it was finally resolved by the dealer. The tech pushed in on one of the ECM connectors and had someone start the engine. It started without the noise. It turned out that one of the pin connectors on the female connector had gone bad. As long as someone was pressing on the connector the engine would start normally. When pressure was released the start noise was present. The bad pin has been ordered and the tech assures me the problem will resolve when the new pin is installed. He says he’s never seen this before.

The following users liked this post:
farginxc60 (09-16-2020)
Old 12-12-2022, 04:08 AM

Please, could you tell me where those connectors are? Thank you very much!!

Old 12-12-2022, 06:07 AM

The technician never showed me the problem pin so I don’t know where it was located other than it was on an ECU board in the engine bay. When the pin was installed the tech called me and told me the car would no longer start at all. They had to interface the car to some Volvo USA computer to analyze the problem. It turned out the tech had accidentally shorted 2 pins together. The final solution was to install a new ECU. After 30 days in the shop and $2300 I finally got a repaired car back. I hope you have better luck.