Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Creaking noise when slow turning, just had lower control arms replaced 6 months ago??

Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise when slow turning, just had lower control arms replaced 6 months ago??

I just had my S80 in the shop about 6 months ago. Had both the front lower control arms replaced new. Roughly about two months after that I started to hear that when I pull into a gas station or a parking spot and turn the car to pull in while moving slow the car sounds like its creaking or twisting. I know its not twisting but to give you an idea of the sound.

Its quite annoying. Is there something that possibly I could lube on the under side of the car? If so what do you suggest lube wise if this might help?

Thanks
Spankey!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 AM

Did you recently replace the struts or spring seats? I had such a sound when the bearing in the spring seat went bad on economy spring seats from IPD. Used Volvo OEM and never a noise again. I tested it by lubricating the area (spraying it) and the noise went away for a little bit.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM

To piggy back on what jmallie said you might want to also check your ball joints. Mine were making a similar sound and I replaced them and the noise went away.

BTW where exactly were you hearing the sound(s)? If it sounds like it is near the center of the car it is a ball joint. If it is on one side or the other it is a strut / spring / mount.

A good tip so that you can rule a few things out is to have the car running in park (on a level surface), and have a friend put two - three fingers on the side wall of the front tires (do this on both sides) as you move the steering wheel back and forth. If they feel a popping or even hear a slight popping, it might be one of four things: your rack and pinion needs replaced (but then again it would have to be loosing fluid but not necessarily.), they gave you faulty control arms, your ball joint is going bad, or you need ti-rods. However if there isn't any popping I would start with the suspension mount and work my way down to the ball joint.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same exact problem but only when turning right.. Sound comes from the left front, my guess was Wheel Bearing, but im not 100%.. I also find that I get a a rubbing noise when im about halfway thru my steering lock to the right.. So I dont think its the normal case of the tyres rubbing because that would be closer to full lock

Anyway elmo, how much did the joints cost you? The OEM parts (***) is bloody expensive!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm with you... I skimped on the sprint hats... wonder if that's it. Wife's car and she reminds me how much she hates it. Seems to happen when the car is warm/hot... not cold though. Same experience?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Mine only groaned when the car warmed up.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jmallie
Mine only groaned when the car warmed up.
*great*

Wife is going to be on me for this if she sees this post.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

These are all estimations. I don't remember fully how much I paid for them but I do remember if Volvo did it or someone else. I don't want to scare people with these numbers, I am just giving you an idea of what it might cost you from a person who has been in this situation.

The rack and pinion was about $1100. I got a re-built one with an alignment. Volvo

It was $600 to replace all four ti-rods, in the front with an alignment. Non-Volvo

About $400 for a bearing with an alignment. non-Volvo

Ball joint was $190 this is for only one with an alignment. non-Volvo Yeah Volvo wanted me to spend $400 on it.

I replaced the control arms but I don't remember how much they were, but I do know that they were VERY expensive. Volvo

$100 for steering stoppers on both sides. This causes the rubbing noise. It is your tire rubbing your wheel well. (you do have to get them in pairs.) Volvo (I have not gotten this done yet, but if I find it cheaper I'll tell you.)

Sway bar links $300 for all four corners. Non-Volvo

Struts $540 Non-Volvo

Strut Mounts $120 (parts only, they did not charge me for labor, since they were doing the struts already.) Non-Volvo

Hope this helps and sorry to scare you. It is not my intent.

Last edited by elmo_allen; 10-08-2009 at 11:35 AM.