Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Display Screen/Audio s 80

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Display Screen/Audio s 80

The display unit in my 2008 S80 doesn't function and hasn't for several years. However, an odd occurrence last summer prompted me to consider that there might be an easy solution to restoring it to full performance without spending money to replace it. I live in a hot and humid climate. Last summer during one of those unbearably hot days, I parked the car with windows closed for approximately two hours. When I returned, I started the car and engaged the AC as usual. As I waited for the AC to deliver me from the intense heat, my mind must have wandered to next task on my list. Suddenly, I realized that the radio was playing and the display screen was looking back at me!! I was so happy!! I drove home (a short distance) with the knowledge that my precious car was whole again. The next morning when I started the car again (heat had not built up in the car), the display area and the radio functioned for a short time, but then it stopped and has not worked since that time. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

sounds like either the unit or the connectors/wiring has an open circuit, possibly a cracked solder joint. On your very hot day, the metal expanded closing the circuit and you had musice. AC cools the car cabin and sorry to say your circuit opens back up. Best to start by seeing if your radio can work on a bench, if yes look for wiring issues in the car, if not, either replace the unit or have a repair shop open it up to find the open circuit - probably on the circuit board, possibly within a component. Easy route is to simply replace the unit with a used part.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you.

If I decide to repair, your information will prove to be valuable to the mechanic. Since I am in the market for a new car and will be using the ‘08 as a trade-in, I am not sure that repairing is a good cost- effective decision. .
Originally Posted by mt6127
sounds like either the unit or the connectors/wiring has an open circuit, possibly a cracked solder joint. On your very hot day, the metal expanded closing the circuit and you had musice. AC cools the car cabin and sorry to say your circuit opens back up. Best to start by seeing if your radio can work on a bench, if yes look for wiring issues in the car, if not, either replace the unit or have a repair shop open it up to find the open circuit - probably on the circuit board, possibly within a component. Easy route is to simply replace the unit with a used part.