Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 power off to climate and radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 power off to climate and radio

Power to the center dash area with the radio and climate controls has been failing intermittently on my 2001 S60 T5. Everything goes dark and no buttons or ***** work. Then it will mysteriously be working again next day. Now it seems to be off for good. I've stared at the fuse box under the hood and can't seem to identify any that indicate the radio and AC/heater control, or that panel. I pulled a few fuses and all were fine. According to the fuse diagram there is apparently another group of fuses on the "back", wherever that is, and some of those descriptions, like interior and accessories, look a little more promising. Before noticing the radio was dead I was looking at just AC issues, like maybe the compressor thermal switch, or the AC relay, but now ruled those out. The fact that it was intermittent for a while makes me think it is not a fuse, and maybe a dirty or loose connection somewhere. Any ideas?

Old 08-29-2018, 04:52 PM

OK, a little backtracking. The radio in fact is working, so just the climate control is out, which is and was the main issue anyway. I did find another thread on this topic in the mean time, and it talked about a thermister in the climate control unit that goes bad and shuts the whole thing down. It requires removing that part of the dash, and replacing the thermister with one from another climate control unit if you can find one on ebay. Someone else said that the dealers can flash the software and fix the thermister issue. I don't know what to believe though. Has anyone dealt with this succesfully?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:27 PM

The problem is fixed, for now at least. I did what several posts recommended, which was remove the battery cables, put the ignition switch in the II position, hold the two cables together for 30 seconds, and connect them back to the battery. I walked around to the driver side and all the lights were on. Started the car and the AC worked. I don't know why it decided to shut itself off in the first place, but hopefully it stays on now and this is my last post on the subject.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:20 AM

My 2015 V60 is experiencing something similar-
At Monday morning startup, the center screen/radio/phone never lit up and offered no radio/phone functions.
It stayed off till Wednesday night when my trailer hitch bottomed out with a BANG when going through a rough interesction.
The center screen lit up and radio/phone features started working.
Well, it's Not a fuse...
If I had to guess, the modern Volvo must have Hundreds of miles of wiring.
What's the most likely bad connection??
How do I take out the center lcd screen?
Startup Thursday morning- no screen/radio/phone
Wayne