Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

EMERGENCY: s80 FAILED smog and mystery computer issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMERGENCY: s80 FAILED smog and mystery computer issues

Blasted car wouldn't pass the functional test because the check engine light is on and the car was misfiring in cylinder number 4. Therefore I had to drop what I was doing and get it into a shop because now my car is a non-op until it passes. And I live in he hippie-friendly state of California, so it makes it even more fun.

I am having numerous problems right now, and right now it's on thin ice. As of now, my car is at a local independent shop here in town. I just cannot take my S80 to the dealer because I just don't have the cash.

I've had my car only 3 months and already I've had to replace the Batery, Alternator, Mass Airflow Sensor, #4 Coil Pack, and i might have to even replace the crank trigger. Even for a car with 134,000 miles on the clock, this is ridiculous.

Anyways, I need some serious help. First off, this is my current situation:

1.) Car failed smog, smog failure keeps me from renewing my registration. Took it immediately for servicing.

2.) Took it to the ONLY place in town willing to work on my s80 out of at least 200 shops we have here (supposedly they hate the s80)

3.) Shop called me leting me know that although computer states engine is misfiring, it is not misfiring at all. They also stated that most likely it's either the injection system or even something assmall as a chipped tooth on the crank trigger kicking off the computer to think the #4 has a misfire.

4.) Shop has also tried to address my ABS, Traction Control, SRS Airbag, And Drove Slowly Service Urgent/Required messages without success. They are telling me that they know exactly what/where the problem is and how to fix it, but the computer locks them out from resetting any of them because only official Volvo dealer diagnostic equipment can access those areas in the computer, and any attempts they have tried to get around the Volvo lockout have been unsuccessful. The previous owner has already taken care of the ECM/software recall at the Dealer, but it seems like the ABS or the TC lights are retarding power somewhat.

5.) The only thing that was a success so far was I had them replace he pickup tube o ring seals to stop the leaking oil.

So here's where I'm at now:

-Is there ANY way possible for a in independent shop o get into these areas of the computer to fix my error messages? As much as I want my car 100 percent fixed so I don't have to worry, going to the dealer is jus not financially possible for me. To make matters worse, there are no Volvo Indepent shops ANYWHERE NEAR where I live. Volvos where I live are rare,and not that many people around here own enough of them for their to be a shop for Volvos. I think I'm the only one here in town with an S80.

-What in the devil is causing the computer to think the engine is misfiring when it is obvoiusly not? Again, the mechanics at the shop where it's at are saying they have ruled out that the engine itself is misfiring. Yet at the same time, whenever they think they have found the problem causing it to go off, they take it out for a est drive and every time the check engine light comes on and is blinking like mad. Could a chipped tooth on the crank trigger really be the issue? What oher options are there to have them look at? They are just thoroughly confused as to why it keeps coming up and they've had it since monday trying to diagnose it.

-I've gotta get this car fixed ASAP. This car is seriously my lifeline. It's how I get to college, commute to see my girlfriend, and get my groceries. I've been barely making it to class in the freezing cold walking some distance to school, I miss my girlfriend terribly, and no work equals no paycheck, and I'm having to have friends run my errands until further notice. I'm stuckin my dormwith a car with a mysery problem, and it sucks.

P.S. Any help would really mean a lot!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Default RE: EMERGENCY: s80 FAILED smog and mystery computer issues

Why not take it to volvo delearshipfor a diagnostics only? its like 90$(atleast whereI live)they can tell you exactly what you need done, then just hand the slip to the independent mechanic to fix it at a cheaper rate?

Old 02-16-2007, 04:34 AM

Problem is: nearest volvo dealer is over an hour away.

And at this point I really don't trust my car on long disance runs. In town I feel alright, but with everything going on I don't think it's smart.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 AM

I Had the same exact problem, I have a 99 volvo S80 2.9 with 112,000miles on itI took the car to 4 diferents mechanics they don't know what is it and the others one hate S80's *** well the funny thing is that I took it to a volvo dealer on january 29 but they still looking for the problem but no luck with it they still have the car they don't even have me and estimate of how its going to cost me what it is nothing they show me codes from the check engine but no luck i'm scared that not even Volvo had luck finding the problem at volvo they told me it was coil no 2 and 4 but they tested it the misfiring continue as well the car is also black smoke from the exhaust they put new MAF sensor but I told them its new that is imposible that the MAF is wrong and they tested it one and no luck I don't know but I think this is going to cost me a LOT of money I,m planifying on getting a personal loan LOL...

Gabriel Andino
Puerto Rico
Volvo 1999 S802.9

Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 PM

bad news:the shop was unable to fix the check engine light, they said they narrowed it down to the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft trigger. Which one they are unsure, but they say it might be a combination of both.

Basically at this point I have a car with no registration until I get this into the dealer. What is the severity of replacing the crankshaft trigger or the camshaft sensor if I got the part and did it myself? Or if I take it to the dealer, what am I looking at.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did they do a compression test?
Has the timing belt ever been replaced?

Old 02-20-2007, 03:48 AM

Wow man it seems like your list just keeps getting worse and worse....I'm actually in the middle of a love hate relationship with my S80 as well......

I think I'm the only one here in town with an S80.
Yay I'm not alone[8D]!

P.S. Any help would really mean a lot!
I can offer you a hug; but not much more since I am still learning about cars....

Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helga's a bitch. Lucky she's pretty or she'd be so dumped!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 03:50 AM

ORIGINAL: uncle

Helga's a bitch. Lucky she's pretty or she'd be so dumped!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man on man, I've said that so many times already.

After this experience, I almost got rid of her for good, but then I realized 2 things:

1.) The car has depreciated even in the last 3 months since I bought it and trading it in for something else wouldn't be wise.

and

2.)Despite all the issues I've had...the good really has outweighed the bad. I was looking at it today and I said to myself, "My goodness, that's the most beautiful thing I've ever looked at. I love my car!" Especially with the 18 inch wheels and the exhaust system. When I get on it, it just sings.

As an update, I did take it to the dealer. It ended up being that the TAC lines were damaged and needed to be replaced. That, and I guess I had the wrong spark plugs in. It cost 440 dollars to get the check engine light and my other 3 to go away, but now that it's fixed it runs like a dream, seriously. Even with 134k miles on it.

The only thing I didn't get fixed was I found out my ABS module is bad (800 bucks) I know of the place you can send it out to have it rebuilt, but they say other than the sensor being bad my abs is still functioning normally and not to worry. So for now the ABS light doesn't bother me being on.

Oh, I also had the cabin air filter replaced. What a difference that makes. For awhile there it was starting to smell kinda funky with the air on, but that fixed it.

The only thing that's come up since I picked up is the shade that opens and closes under the sunroof has jammed and will not move, It is also keeping the sunroof from opening. I can tilt it upward, but that's it. If I try to open it I get a terrible screeech and it doesn't open.

Is there any way to get it unjammed and how in the heck did it get stuck in the first place. It's not a serious issue right now because it's the middle of winter. I got it to where it's permanently open for now but when summer comes I'd like to get it fixed so I can have it open again.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:30 AM

Oh, I also had the cabin air filter replaced. What a difference that makes. For awhile there it was starting to smell kinda funky with the air on, but that fixed it.
Just had mine replaced as well....man I def did learn that the hard way as well[:'(].

As for your sunroof....not sure what I can recommend there....

Old 02-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Tilt it up then look closely from outside. There is little springs that go from the sunroof shade to the tracks. They usually have plastic pieces on the end of the spring.
They break off and get jammed in the tracks. Sometimes the only way to get it loose is to force it. Then remove the headliner and replace the springs.

If you can get the liner to move back then you would be able to remove the glass then the headliner to fix it.