Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

engine tapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine tapping noise

ok, There a big list of problems with my car right now, but I'll get to them one at a time.

one of the things that I thought I would fix by changing the oil pan o-rings would be the tapping noise coming from the top back of the engine.

If I look in the oil filler inlet, I can see the cams coated in oil, and everything looks fine, but there's a deffinately noise coming from the exhaust side.

I've got a stethoscope and I've tried to pin point it down some more, but its very hard to. I've check all the injectors, and they seem fine.

There are two 2 inch diameter 'disks' on the top of the engine, one over the intake camshaft, one of the exhaust camshaft. The one over the exhaust side was pushed up, higher than the intake one and it has oil around it. The oil was either coming from this 'disk' of it was coming out the turbo air pipes. It has been running down the back of the engine for some while it looks like. The local volvo deal said I needed to do the oil return seals, but when I was under the engine at the weekend, I could see them and they were bone dry, no oil at all.

anyone got any idea's? short of putting it in at the dealer, I'm getting a bit stumped. Mechanics over in here leave a lot to be desired I've found. A lot of them really don't seem to care or know alot about what they're doing unfortunately. I thnk the local place managed to damage the CV boot when they were changing the lower ball joint so now that something else for me to do.

oh well, I guess it keeps me out of trouble.

Stu

Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Default RE: engine tapping noise

The 'disk' I'm refering to are Volvo Part number 1361451 - called a very descriptive 'cap'.

cheers

Stu

Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Default RE: engine tapping noise

The noise might be from a stuck lifter. You could try this and see if it helps: http://www.auto-rx.com

Old 03-08-2009, 03:03 PM

People,

I would like to clear something up. After some research and things done on my car to find the reason for my lifter/tappet noise i finally learned what really is the reason there is a tick. Symptoms were with cold start: hard tapping, went away after 2 secs and thens most of the time stayed moderately silent (still tickin a bit)

I started with new o-rings in the sump ( all of em ) ickup, block to sump . New oil pump gasket and 0-rings( removed pump for that) etc. Didn't change anything.It is not untill i removed the valve cover and saw how the system works i realised it is a Tappet!! that causes the tick. All of em , exept on stayed firm and pumped up while one of them seemed collapsed. If anyone would understand how they work ( i do) one would know that the tappet empties too quickly and drains itself of oil ( when the cam presses it down) . The oil pressure is not able to fill that missing oil up( once cam force is off) so the lifter will stay moderately noisy. On cold start it has drained al oil from plunger and housing so that's why the tick is louder ( needs more! oil)

Really guys, o- rings could help in getting the oil to the tappets more efficiently but if your lifter is gone bad it won't be enough.

You can do everything yourself, just make sure you make your own tools like i did. Remove all tappets and test them. You'll find there is one or more simply not feeling like the other firm ones. Really this is the reason the tick.

Feel free to e-mail me for more info,

Frank

Old 03-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by moorf01
People,

I would like to clear something up. After some research and things done on my car to find the reason for my lifter/tappet noise i finally learned what really is the reason there is a tick. Symptoms were with cold start: hard tapping, went away after 2 secs and thens most of the time stayed moderately silent (still tickin a bit)

I started with new o-rings in the sump ( all of em ) ickup, block to sump . New oil pump gasket and 0-rings( removed pump for that) etc. Didn't change anything.It is not untill i removed the valve cover and saw how the system works i realised it is a Tappet!! that causes the tick. All of em , exept on stayed firm and pumped up while one of them seemed collapsed. If anyone would understand how they work ( i do) one would know that the tappet empties too quickly and drains itself of oil ( when the cam presses it down) . The oil pressure is not able to fill that missing oil up( once cam force is off) so the lifter will stay moderately noisy. On cold start it has drained al oil from plunger and housing so that's why the tick is louder ( needs more! oil)

Really guys, o- rings could help in getting the oil to the tappets more efficiently but if your lifter is gone bad it won't be enough.

You can do everything yourself, just make sure you make your own tools like i did. Remove all tappets and test them. You'll find there is one or more simply not feeling like the other firm ones. Really this is the reason the tick.

Frank
Well you must have an odd one.
Every car I have done the o-rings to have fixed the lifter noise.(About 100 or more cars)

So it does not apply to all of the cars you say it does.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 PM

Fixing the o-rings pretends to cure the problem, i would state that even bad o-rings in combination with Perfect tappets result in a smooth engine.

In other words, good tappets don't need maximised oil pressure to work properly. Only a bad lifter needs maximum oil pressure because it malfunctions and then you notice a difference just because the lifter is "almost dead".

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

My Honda has been making those noises for the last 60K miles, so it's not necessarily a death sentence. Was tapping all the time in the beginning, which is why I got such a good deal on it I guess. One mechanic even told me it had a "burnt valve", whatever the heck that means. Anywho, after a couple years of using Rislone it hardly ever makes the noise now -- only after its been sitting a long time. Car actually sounds better now than when I bought it. And I bet if the first owner had done his maintenance routinely it never would have developed sticky valves/lifters to begin with.

I imagine one or more of hydraulic self-adjusting lifters has worn unevenly, but it's beyond my abilities to fix with the tools at my disposal. And if I'm going to go to all that trouble might as well do a complete rebuild. And if I'm going to spend that kind of money might as well just wait 'till she blows. But like I said, I've been waiting 60K miles already.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:34 AM
Default Tapping Noise in a Volvo C70 Engine

Originally Posted by moorf01
People,

Frank
Hi Frank. I'm Michael from North Carolina. I drive a 2011 Volvo C70 and just recently a "tapping" noise started coming from the engine. Everything you described in your situation seems exactly what I am experiencing. I appreciate you describing the situation in such detail that I'm convinced of the cause. I don't own all the tools needed to do the job myself (70, retired) but at least I have some knowledge of what the potential cause is when I take the vehicle to the Volvo dealership for service.

Thanks again for describing your situation.
Michael