Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post engine tick

I have a volvo s80 t6 I have a ticking noise coming out of the top end of the engine and Im scared it might need a valve job and it only has about 60000 mile on it has any one else had this happen or any suggestions besides the head.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Does the low oil pressure light/message ever come on?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Make sure to monitor your oil levels until you get this fixed. Your engine may be burning a little oil from the valves...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 PM

First, I don't want to hijack the thread, but my question is highly related to the subject.

-------------

I did have the "low oil pressure" in question. I just did the oil sump O-Rings replacement. The weird thing is that the first thing my wife notice afterward was some sort of fan noise. Then I realized that it was valve noise which sounds like fan noise as you accelerate.

So, why do I get the valve noise after the O-rings replacement? The low oil pressure light went away though.

This is what I think. I know my Oil Trap is due to replacement due to oil leaking in the area. Could it be that now all the o-rings are replaced, there's no way for the trapped engine pressure to escaped (due to oil trap clogged) that somehow cause the valve to knock?

In addition, it seems the car doesn't accelerate (losing power) as good as before my oil sump o-rings replacement.

Or could it be that when I drop the sub-frame (left hanging), I could had accidentally unplugged some wiring and/or vacuum hoses to cause this high pitch valve noise and lack of power?

Please advise, thx!

Last edited by go2sharks; 04-16-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 AM

First things first. Have you checked the oil??

Old 04-16-2011, 06:27 AM

If the valves are clacking, the motor is on its way to faillure, not buring a little oil....Does the ticking speed increase with RPM?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by go2sharks
First, I don't want to hijack the thread, but my question is highly related to the subject.

-------------

I did have the "low oil pressure" in question. I just did the oil sump O-Rings replacement. The weird thing is that the first thing my wife notice afterward was some sort of fan noise. Then I realized that it was valve noise which sounds like fan noise as you accelerate.

So, why do I get the valve noise after the O-rings replacement? The low oil pressure light went away though.

This is what I think. I know my Oil Trap is due to replacement due to oil leaking in the area. Could it be that now all the o-rings are replaced, there's no way for the trapped engine pressure to escaped (due to oil trap clogged) that somehow cause the valve to knock?

In addition, it seems the car doesn't accelerate (losing power) as good as before my oil sump o-rings replacement.

Or could it be that when I drop the sub-frame (left hanging), I could had accidentally unplugged some wiring and/or vacuum hoses to cause this high pitch valve noise and lack of power?

Please advise, thx!
Since you dropped the sub-frame you might have worked the collar out of the boot in the floor board. It will make it sound like lifter noise inside the cabin while driving. Look where the column goes through the floor board see if a metal collar on the shaft is loose. If it is use spray silicone on the boot and press the collar down into the boot. Sometimes you have to stretch the boot some with a screw driver while pressing the collar in.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:42 AM

The weird thing is that the ticking stays the same whether the engine is cold hot I haven't been able to tell if it gets faster as the rpm's go up but I just did an out change and the oil that came out looked ok and it is full of oil

Old 04-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Since you dropped the sub-frame you might have worked the collar out of the boot in the floor board. It will make it sound like lifter noise inside the cabin while driving. Look where the column goes through the floor board see if a metal collar on the shaft is loose. If it is use spray silicone on the boot and press the collar down into the boot. Sometimes you have to stretch the boot some with a screw driver while pressing the collar in.
"collar out of the boot in the floor board" Tech, what exactly are you talking about, please be specific in the direction where to look. Like, driver side (left) around gas pedal or right side looking from top down near something.... etc.

The other clue is that when I turn left or right, there's like a rubbing noise of some kind. I check and add the steering fluid already, but the noise is still there. I have a feeling when I dropped the sub-frame, the steering boot/rubber or something like that came off/stretched from the connection that goes to the steering wheel column. ((Is this the area you are referring me to investigate?))

Old 04-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by BPATR1CK
If the valves are clacking, the motor is on its way to failure, not buring a little oil....Does the ticking speed increase with RPM?
Yes, the valve noise is very consistence with RPM.

This is a very low mileage 2000 S80 non-turbo, only 67K miles. I suspect something happened (came loose) when I drop the sub-frame to do the o-rings. I highly doubted that the engine just turned completely bad just because I did the oil sump o-rings. I understand that would happened if I did something wrong when replacing the timing belt. (which is my next project)

Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by go2sharks
"collar out of the boot in the floor board" Tech, what exactly are you talking about, please be specific in the direction where to look. Like, driver side (left) around gas pedal or right side looking from top down near something.... etc.

The other clue is that when I turn left or right, there's like a rubbing noise of some kind. I check and add the steering fluid already, but the noise is still there. I have a feeling when I dropped the sub-frame, the steering boot/rubber or something like that came off/stretched from the connection that goes to the steering wheel column. ((Is this the area you are referring me to investigate?))
Like I said in the post above look where the steering column goes through the floor board(Drivers side) see if there is a metal collar out of the boot in the floor.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 AM

Sounds like its a suspension related issue rather than valvetrain?

Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 AM

This thread was Hijacked; my posts were directed at the original poster until last, my appologies.