Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

The Epic Saga of my S80 - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Epic Saga of my S80 - Help?

I have a 2000 S80 2.9 (169,000 miles). I began experiencing some rough idle/running problems and my (trusted) mechanic replaced the mass air flow sensor. This didn't fix the problem. On his suggestion I took the car to our local Volvo dealer - they diagnosed the problem as the ETM and replaced this under warranty. This seems to have solved the rough running issue. However, about a week later, the car lost power and all accelerator response when pulling away from a stoplight. After coming to a complete stop, putting the car in park, and restarting all seemed well. This problem happened once more, and I promptly went back to the dealer.

This time they replaced the Accelerometer (about $700) and told me that the ABS module was completely shot and needed to be replaced to avoid future issues with the car entering this limp mode. So, I replaced the ABS module (about $1400). 3 days after getting the car back from the dealer, I was on the freeway and braked heavily and swerved to avoid a moron to whom I was apparently invisible, and the car immediately lost all power and accelerator response again. This time, stopping and restarting the car didn't help. However, once we loaded the car on a trailer and arrived at the dealer, the problem was gone and the car drove nicely off the trailer.

The dealer is now telling me that the mass air flow sensor is the problem. I feel like the dealer is kind of grasping at straws here. I've read that the MAF codes can mean a variety of issues and I really don't want to give them $500 just to TRY this, especially as the MAF is not that old.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!