Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust sound

I recently bought 2007 S80 volvo V8 4.4L and I put a performance muffler on it and I loved the way it sound but my battery kept going dead .I finally found out what the problem was it was the alternator byt I noticed that my exhaust doesn't have that punch from before .What could cause that?
I found out that the people who put my alternator in used a h6 battery and it looks small for the space of the battery.Is it possible that a battery could affect the sound of the ehaust ? I was reading up on it and a guy stated that my car takes a T7 and that I wouldn't like the way the H6 sounded .I didn't real understand but How can I solve this because after pick my car up it doesn't sound the same with the new battery and alternator. What's your thoughts guy??

Old 06-28-2019, 05:45 PM

I’m no expert mechanic, but I am a semi, qualified tinkerer. I’m going to say, that there is absolutely no way a battery and alternator swap could affect the exhaust note or tone in any car. Unless I suppose the car had some sort of active exhaust that was enabled or disabled due to the battery disconnect. If the exhaust really sounds different after the alternator install, it’s possible your exhaust system was damaged during repair? Either an incident on a lift, Possibly an accident during a test drive? But there really is no way that a battery and alternator could change the exhaust tone. Even a battery that may be a different size than stock. I would certainly make sure the correct battery was installed, not because of exhaust note but because it may not have enough amperage to properly operate your vehicle. If the car really sounds different, crawl under it and check that there are no dents or damage to your exhaust system.
Also, check that the intake system is properly connected. That could cause a change in exhaust note. And it was likely disconnected during alternator repair. Good luck with diagnosis.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:24 AM

Concur with WV-V60

Old 07-02-2019, 10:53 AM

The crazy part is that they gave me the wrong battery they gave me a MTP 48 H6 CCA 730 CA 930.I called volvo and they asked for my vin they told me my car calls for CCA 800 battery 93 series from the factory .He said if I change it I will void my warranty but you didn't put the right battery in from the jump .It cost me $1207.00 for them to install a new battery and alternator .The alternator alone for this S80 is $670.0 something dollar's and your not going to put what my vehicle calls for in it . I called another location and they said that the battery he put in was wrong also and volvo did too.I keep trying explain to him it's a 4.4L Yamaha engine not a 3.2L it's rare dude . I brought 4 or 5 batteries prior to finding out what was really the issue . This is crazy it's obvious the battery is wrong look at the actual compartment it's huge compared to what's in there.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:33 PM

Wrong Battery wouldn`t affect anything, except maybe a little slow to start when cold outside. but you have some strange issues with your battery hookups. Never seen such a screwed up setup.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:39 PM

Yeah man... I'm just going to take it to the dealership it only has 114,000 miles on anything else I should have checked while there