Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Factory headlights & foglights with hid

Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Question Factory headlights & foglights with hid

Hello Everyone,

I replace my factory headlights & fog lights with HID a few months ago and had issues with the headlights ever since (fog lights have no issues). I constantly have to be turning the headlight switch off and on until headlights stay solid and even then it's not a guarantee. I have replace the fuse box until a well as the light switch since they were given me issue before i change to HID. I have replace the hid ballast 3 times already. I have revert back to the factory headlights (working without any issues) but would love to know if anyone have any suggestions how I can correct this costly issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thnks & Bst Rgds
O

Old 09-16-2010, 03:24 PM

This is a known issue in Volvo's. The car senses the difference in draw and will disable the headlights. Depending on the year, some will require a restart of the car before they will turn back on, others can be fixed just by turning the switch, but neither is a permanent solution as the car will detect the difference again.

Some people have found that installing Bulb Out Warning cancellers (BOWs) will fix the situation, others, no. I tried many different ballasts, bulbs and cancellers with no success and worked with a great company that knows the "problems" with Volvo's and being sensitive.

So in the end, it really isn't a true problem, rather just the nature of the car, and you may not be able to get them to work, ever. The only last option I had was to bring my car to the dealer to see if they could flash the software that runs the lights and turn off the warning system, but there is A) no guarantee they would do that and B) that it would work, and I wasn't willing to invest more money into finding a solution.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Thank you Jlewisinsyr, I will follow up and see what happens, I appreciate it.