Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Front left tire making noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front left tire making noises

I have this noise coming from the front left tire. You can hear it when speeding up, slowing down, or just cruising. I have had it for a good many months. I took the tire off to see if it was the tire and switched the back to the front to see if it was the tire and I am still getting the noise. Does anyone know what it could be?

Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

sounds like your front left wheel bearing is moaning. Do you get a "wub wub wub" sound that starts at 5-10 MPH and gets faster and higher pitched when you get up to say 35-40?

Try this quick test - listen to the noise on a curvy road (say 35-40 MPH). Does the noise change when turning left or right? (idea is, the turn puts more weight on the outside wheels - thus putting more strain on the bearing...).

The other two causes can be brake related (does it change sounds with brake pressure?) or the CV joint in the axle (do you hear clicking, particularly when you are turning around - ie wheel fully cranked?). You can pull the wheels off and inspect the CV joint boots for tears or oil leaks, and make sure the brake rotors don't have any big grooves and see if the splash guards aren't bent etc. Diagnosing the bearing can be more difficult and may require rotating the wheel and feeling for any grinding.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 AM

yea it is a "wub wub wub" sound. Speeds up when I speed up and when I brake it's a little louder. My step dad doesn't seem to think it's the wheel bearings but maybe the rotor. When you turn left or right and doesn't make a different noise or any noise really. I have noticed when I put it in reverse it'll make a popping noise when I first push down the gas paddle. I'm going to switch my rotors today and see if the sound switches to the other side

Old 02-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could also be a bad CV joint. Are the boots all good ?? No signs of any grease being tossed out ??

Old 02-28-2016, 06:25 PM

when I tried to rotate my rotors to see if that was the case, I couldn't get the bolts off because of rust. Car is from New Jersey... But with taking off my tires I realized the inside of my tires are wore down, I believe that's tow in?? So I'm gonna to get it aligned tomorrow because of that and hope it fixes the "wub wub wub" noise. Anyone know if that could cause the noise?? I know it can be a ton of stuff.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It could be the "toe" is out of adjustment but usually if you run you hand over the tread of the tire you'll feel a feathering of the surface since the tire is literally being dragged very slightly sideways.

If the springs are starting to sag it could cause the inner edges of both tires to wear out more rapidly and fairly equally.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Yea both the tires a wore down on the inside. One was worse than the other but you could still tell they are both wore down. I'll be getting an alignment in about 30min so I'll let you know if that's the problem!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Tire cupping can create a sound similar to a wheel bearing (usually more subtle). the quick test is to rotate front to back (put the best tires in front) and see if the noise changes... when you said you couldn't get the bolts off for the rotors - did you mean the bolts for the brake caliper? Note to remove the rotor you need to remove the metal spotting pin too. try spraying some PB Blaster a few days in advance on the stuck bolts and drive around - letting the vibrations work the oil in... Warped rotors usually will present by either a pulse in your brake pedal or the noise changes when you lightly press the brakes.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM

The alignment didn't fix it. My toe was really bad though. I have already changed the front left tire to the back left and the noise continued. And yea I meant the bolts for the brake caliber. I sprayed it with a crap ton of wd-40 and still nothing. The other there is that the bolts are a 15?? I tried 14mm because that's more likely but it wouldn't fit. I know the rotors being bent could be unlikely but would be a good test. As of driving regularly the noise is just constant, even if I'm turning or braking. I'm at a standstill here