Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

fuel door stuck in unlocked position

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel door stuck in unlocked position

hey guys,
i have 2002 volvo and it's fuel door stuck in unloced position, may someone know how to fix it??

Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomas BÅ«bnelis
hey guys,
i have 2002 volvo and it's fuel door stuck in unloced position, may someone know how to fix it??
Is it possible that the hinge is broken? This will cause the door to not fit properly into the recess and so the loop on the door might not be captured by the bar inside the little pocket that the loop fits into. The hinge is plastic and it fails by fatigue cracking after a few years. This is a $12 part which can be replaced following instructions available online.

If you stand outside the vehicle with your ear next to the flap and have someone push the button to unlock the flap, can you hear any sound?

If the hinge is OK, and it is actually the locking mechanism that is not working correctly, access to the locking mechanism is by pulling back the insulation on the inside. I think you can pull the locking bar open. However, it might then lock and stick in the locked position.

I think the actuator is a small motor which slides the bar in and out with some gears, rather than a solenoid.

Alternatively, you might be able to push the bar back to the unlocked position from the outside, using a screwdriver in the pocket where the loop fits. I think you should try to push the bar toward the rear of vehicle.

Last edited by JamesG; 10-07-2012 at 01:40 PM.