Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Door Stuck in Locked Position, doesn't respond

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Door Stuck in Locked Position, doesn't respond

Hi guys,

I have an 06 XC90 (v6). recently I've been having some issues with the gas door not locking/unlocking when I hit the switch. The past week or so it's been stuck in the "lock" position and doesn't respond to the locking/unlocking of the switch. Luckily the door is open and the pin is locked so we can fill it up with fuel. I've tried taking some needle nose pliers to kinda push the pin back in to see if it needs to have some lubrication on it and it doesn't budge.

I'm wondering how to go about fixing this and how common is it? I've tried searching but came up with no other issues like this.

Does anyone know what fuse this solenoid is tied into so I can double check that (just in case?). Is there a way I can access this to try and further diagnose this issue?

Thanks for any help, I'd appreciate it!

Ryan

Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read in the owner's manual that there is a way to access the fuel door lock from behind the panel in the rear quarter. I don't remember the specifics, but I've pulled out the panels and fumbled around in there looking for it. You might be able to determine if the mechanism is sticking or if nothing is happening at all. (e.g. put your hand back there and get someone to push the button and feel/listen for the click, etc.)

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...05xc90_09b.htm

That page shows the fuse layout, but I don't see anything about the fuel door motor in my quick search. I've found reference to the fuse being the same one as the rear door locks, but that was on older models. I've also seen reference to the motor failing, the switch failing and the fuse going, so some simple troubleshooting should find the problem. (If you can find that sneaky fuse...)

Dirk

Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM

thanks for the link and info. My girlfriend has the car out of town right now, so when she gets back i'll get a multimeter out and test around if i can get to it. I had put my hand and ear up to the gas tank area trying to hear it and couldn't hear anything clicking. That's why I'm guessing it's a fuse or like you said a switch. I didn't notice if the rear doors locked or not as we only use the fronts.

I'll update this when i find out more info for future reference.

thanks again,

ryan

Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 PM

I wonder if some liquid wrench or wd40 would short it? Probably not if it's jammed. I'd try warming it with your hand or a hot washcloth (no sparks!) and then wiggling it loose.

WHoever had my car before me just broke off the blocking portion of the hook. It solved the problem for them, but I like the fact it locks. I beleive it has a bolt (Torx-14?) to remove the lock and replace.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 PM

ok guys.....i removed it from the car and it was still jammed.....wouldn't budge. I ended up opening up the casing were the motor sits and there's two gears (one on the motor and on of the pin) the teeth of the gears were jammed/stuck on each other. (instead of them meshing together) So i moved them to thier correct positions and it works now.

few days later they did the same thing, so I'm guessing the gears are worn. Can i purchase these gears individually or do i have to buy a whole new motor?

any ideas on getting this from happening again? maybe putting some electrical tape on the gears now so they won't slip and jam each other or something else to keep thier tolerances close?

thanks!

ryan

Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the part is sold as a unit. SAP has it for $90, which is pretty steep. eBay had one for about half that, after shipping.

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...Q5fAccessories)

I understand the desire to just fix the broken bits. That's certainly what I would try to do. Can you tell how it's slipping and jamming?

Dirk

Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by blueday
Hi guys,

I have an 06 XC90 (v6). recently I've been having some issues with the gas door not locking/unlocking when I hit the switch. The past week or so it's been stuck in the "lock" position and doesn't respond to the locking/unlocking of the switch. Luckily the door is open and the pin is locked so we can fill it up with fuel. I've tried taking some needle nose pliers to kinda push the pin back in to see if it needs to have some lubrication on it and it doesn't budge.

I'm wondering how to go about fixing this and how common is it? I've tried searching but came up with no other issues like this.

Does anyone know what fuse this solenoid is tied into so I can double check that (just in case?). Is there a way I can access this to try and further diagnose this issue?

Thanks for any help, I'd appreciate it!

Ryan
Hi
It took a while to sort out a locked fuel cap lid on my 2005 xc90
A Temporary repair without damage to door
You need to remove all the inner panel and the padding & insulation, looking for the front end of a beige solenoid box is hidden in the dark a little horizontal driving arm /bar that if you push sideways towards the rear will release the cap !
There is a wire coming away from the solenoid which has a separating connector, pull this apart, then door is left in open position, it will close but is not currently lockable
You can then check the solenoid at leisure or free the part
It’s held on with the two screws you can see inside the door
thanks to help from big dave of rochdale uk

Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM

My 2007 D5 has suffered a similar problem and after a search I found a post on another forum about it. This basically says that the bolt should be lubricated with something like Teflon bike lubricant. I tried it and pushed out the bolt from the rear lamp access and sprayed with the Teflon spray. I then pulled and pushed the bolt and sprayed again. The original poster said not to use WD40 by the way.

After a couple of weeks it still seems to be working fine.

I am no mechanic but it might be worth trying this if you haven't already done so.

Nick