Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S80
Reload this Page >

Getting frustrated with Volvo dealer/customer service - built-in phone

Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Getting frustrated with Volvo dealer/customer service - built-in phone

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Default Getting frustrated with Volvo dealer/customer service - built-in phone

I have 2003 S80 with the built-in phone. I bought it pre-owned and according the the records in 2004 a software update was installed to disable the message that pops up every time I start the car stating that phone system is no longer available. Unfortunately, this message still pops up in my car. It is obvious that the fix wasn't applied properly. So I am trying to get Volvo to re-apply the software update. But this time they ask me to pay for it.

I called Volvo customer service and they told me to go to the dealership. Dealership states that the software was already applied so all I can do is to request new update and pay for it. They recommend to call customer service which sends me back to the dealership.

Slowly getting frustrated with such a small thing. I do not care about the hardware (handset, keypad, etc). All I want is to get rid of the message so I can see other notifications that are usually hidden behind it.

Did anybody have any luck with Volvo getting software update for the phone?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Volvo was removing the phone gratis a couple years ago. If it wasn't done I would insist they do it out of their "good will budget." Say those words exactly.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 AM

They will not do it. I called them twice and they want me to pay for the upgrade.

Of course they cannot tell me where the previous upgrade was done so I can't call them directly to ask if they would do it again.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by drabina View Post
They will not do it. I called them twice and they want me to pay for the upgrade.

Of course they cannot tell me where the previous upgrade was done so I can't call them directly to ask if they would do it again.
Whom told you that, Volvo corporate, or the Stealership?? If you use the stealership for service, ask the advisor for copies of your service file and also warranty history! On that paperwork, it will show you where and when the upgrade was applied!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Both dealership and Volvo customer service claim that their records show only that the service was performed but they do not have the location where it was performed. I called both places and so far they both state that "I am requesting software update so I would have to pay for it".

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM

Sounds like someone is NOT telling the truth! When a dealer performs any sort of warranty, even good will they document the date, time AND location...

Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 AM

I guess I will stop by the dealership and try to get service records for the car. I think the update was performed at Volvo dealer that serviced the car since new. They of course claim that they did not do anything.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Good news. I just got a call from Volvo customer service person that I talked yesterday. It turns out that there was a miscommunication and the software upgrade that they were referring to was a generic upgrade when the phone system was still working. My car is eligible for a phone removal at no cost by Volvo.

So now I have to schedule an appointment with Volvo.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Lol, doesn't surprise me! At least that was figured out before you had a HUGE headache and was shelling your own money! Good Luck with the repairs and keep us up to date!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM

I work at a certified mercedes collision shop that is located at the dealership itself, we do a good amount of "good will" repairs and charge it to the dealership, who in turn collects from mercedes benz, every dealer has some sort of program as this.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM

Update: Monday I made an appointment for Thursday to get the phone removed after I got a call from Volvo customer service that removal was authorized. Yesterday evening I drove the car to the dealer (Englewood Volvo in NJ) and pretty much came back home with the car. They claim that they haven't received authorization from customer service and on top of that, they do not have the part that's required for this type of work (small storage bin in place of keypad). This is after they knew about my appointment since Monday when I called in. They gave me a regular run around claiming that they cannot order part until they get authorization and that they need some sort of payment arrangements between them and Volvo customer service before they start working on the car. So basically I could either drive the car back home or leave it at the dealer but it would be just parked there until they get everything straighten out. What's pisses me off is that two hours before I left to drop the car of, I called Volvo customer service and lady assured me that all the paperwork was already sent to the dealer regarding this repair. Terrible service.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 PM

I compleatly understand how upset you are about this matter, you and I know you are getting the runaround, but just take a deep breath, contact volvo again and take names, time of call, person you talk to,his or her position at volvo, tell that person or persons the frustrations you are going through and who can you talk to who can press the right buttons and make this thing happen, also remember this, somebody has to wear out first, dont let it be you, calmly tell volvo you are not going to go away untill this matter is settled, best of luck.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Another update: Still have the phone in my car. When I went to Volvo dealer (and left with the car), I was told that they are going to call Volvo customer service and get this figured out. Few days later, when I inquired asking for an update I was told that Volvo is not going to cover it and I would have to pay for it. So I called Volvo customer service and told them that. The lady was really surprised because she claims that she spoke personally with service manager of Volvo dealer and they had an agreement to take care of my built-in phone. Now, she said that she is going to escalate the issue to her manager so they can resolve it for me. At this point I am not sure I want to take my car to this dealer anymore.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Would you guys believe that it took me about 3 months of phone calls to get the freaking phone removed at no charge? Yesterday, I picked up my car from the dealer. Keypad is removed, software update installed and small pocked inserted in place where keypad was. Not a very good first experience with Volvo service.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM

makes one want to run right out and buy a volvo! but anyway, I know it took you a long time to get this settled but guess what? you won at the game they started! so good for you!