Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Had it 2 weeks! 2004 Volvo S80 T5 - Big thump then no dash lights...HELP!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had it 2 weeks! 2004 Volvo S80 T5 - Big thump then no dash lights...HELP!?

I just got my 2004 S80 2 weeks ago (75k mileage). Tonight as I drove an hour out of town, the car suddenly lurched forward a little, or maybe it felt more like a big thump, like I ran over something, which I hadn't, or like something behind and under where I sat moved out of place or something. It's hard to describe what I felt, I just know it didn't feel right. All the lights came on inside, floor lights and overhead lights I hadn't seen before, and the message display said my left rear door was open, which it wasn't. A red triangle light on the dash came on but I couldn't tell what it was indicating, then the car thumped again and the lights went off again. It happened that way again, same message came on, then thump and it went away. It did it a 3rd time and this time I glanced at my dash gauges (speedometer, gas tank, etc.) and all the gauges went to 0, all gauges OFF, just before all the dash lights went out. So here I am now driving the highway, can't tell if I'm driving the speed limit or what, with no light inside the car. Take that back, the radio/AC area was still lit up. So I tried the electric windows, and they wouldn't go down. I tried the moon roof window, and it WOULD open and close, no problem. The car has a new battery and was just tuned up, passed an 80 point checkup, and drives like a dream. What in the world is going on, can anyone shed some light on what might be wrong? Its been really cold here the last couple weeks, and the car acts like it HATES being cold in the mornings when I go to work. It creeps along until its good and ready to go. I've been patient with it, never rev the engine, I treat it nice because it's a beautiful car and I did just get it! I am new to turbo engines (I've driven Buicks the last 10 years), don't know anything at all about them. I want so much to like the car. I want so much to be one of those "once a Volvo owner, always a Volvo owner" because I've always had great respect for the car. I just don't understand what's happening now. Is it just dumb luck? I hope someone here will tell me its a blown fuse or something easy like that. Surprise me with it, ok? I'm not ready to take on car repairs right now, not with this car too....I just traded that headache in...or so I thought. Carfax was perfect. So please, tell me its all going to be okay and that Volvo's aren't bad cars. Convince me, please, throw me a rope. Thanks for listening.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM

How's your troubleshooting skillset and patience?

Have you checked any of the fuses?

My *guess* would be to first check the battery to see if it is secured. If not, it may have grounded and some fuses blew...

After the first pass of checking all the fuses for the instrument cluster and other non-functioning items, and the battery being secured, let us know.

I'd rather have your Volvo than ours right now...

Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 PM

I agree with checking the battery. Was driving down the road all day and lost all power. It came back and went away again. I got out and checked the battery first and found that an alan wrench had gotten loose from a tool set and worked its way under the access panel and was shorting out the battery on bumps.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Default Turns out the computer needed to be updated...

I wrote in about my 2004 S80 shutting down on me after I'd only had it 2 weeks. I towed the car back to the guy I got it from. He took it to Volvo and they said the computer under the hood (which controls all the lights/gauges, etc. on the front dash) needed to be updated, which only Volvo can do. He had them do that and I got the car back today. Paid $250 for it (is that good? bad? I'd really like to know.) Car performed like I'd like it to. I stopped and filled the tank and the gauge still only reads a little over half tank. Did I mention the gas gauge was always like that? I told the car guy about it the first night I had it. He said something about you know these foreign cars...just pull the pump out a little more and see if that helps. Didnt help. And now, even with the software revamped, the gauge still doesnt go to full tank. I hate to say it, but it makes me nervous. I drive 100 miles out of town every other weekend to take care of my mother, and I can't be stranded on the highway! Dont want to be anyway..... Has anyone had a faulty gas gauge? Does it mean there are other underlying problems by any chance? That you know of? Thanks for the answers I got and sorry I haven't said so before now....

Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Default Did you solve half full gas gauge problem?

Did you solve the problem of the gas gauge only reading half a tank? If so, ???
Otherwise, perhaps ask the dealer???

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Don't know if the year matters but mine had a secondary electric problem once. Following the battery lines led me to a covered box near the firewall. Inside was a wire connection that had come loose that directly affected battery power to everything. When that was cleaned and re-secured there were no more problems. Worth having a look.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Interesting find! Are you referring to the engine bay on the driver side where the fuses are located? Right by the air box?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Smile All better

Since I wrote in about the trouble I was having with the gas gauge and the thump/all dash lights out, etc. .....I've had A LOT of work done on my 2004 Volvo S80. I've named the car Katrina .. she's my "special needs" car, and I hafta say, I do love her. So far, I've had to get a new computer -- even after the initial flashing we did. The transmission was leaking so I had to have that fixed. When my new favorite mechanic first checked it out, he found that leak, plus he found (are you ready for this?) the clutch to my A/C was "disintegrating" !! So ... they fixed that! After that, Katrina has been a champion! Gets me everywhere I need to go, and I love the way she handles the road. LOVE her turbo engine. Mechanic says the T5 is "the engine all Volvos wish for". Ha! Love that. Let's see, the most recent thing I guess is that the power steering went out. Turned out, I needed a whole new rack and pinion...even though the one I had "looked almost brand new". Naturally, the guy that sold me the car didn't have any record or receipt for that, so I had a new one put on. Plus, I needed a new Serpentine belt. That was a couple weeks ago, and since then, the car drives fantastic again. I can tell I'm turning into a die-hard Volvo owner/lover.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM

p.s., the gas gauge problem was that I needed a new fuel pump. That fixed that.