Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 had electrical problems then went on fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 had electrical problems then went on fire

We bought our XC90 D5 SE in March 2005. In August 2005, we were plagued with a series of electrical problems and the car spent about 3 weeks in all being fixed. First the ECU was replaced. Subsequently the CD player was replaced. Then there were problems with various warning lights.

In September 2005 when the car was only 6 months old, my husband was driving home. A series of warning lights came on, there was an electrical smell in the cabin and white smoke coming from under the dashboard. My husband instinctively switched off the engine and got out of the car. Within minutes the car has started itself up, the headrests had gone on fire, and within another few minutes there were 10 foot flames surrounding the car.

Subsequently the car has been written off as it is totally gutted.

Volvo don't want to know as they think the insurance should pay up. We disagree as only an electrical fault could have caused the fire.

Has anyone else had the same experience, as I would like to recoup my uninsured losses from Volvo. I am also concerned that there could well be a faulty batch of Volvos out there and Volvo are burying their heads in the sand?

Old 11-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Default RE: XC90 had electrical problems then went on fire

We currantly have a 05 S60 in our shop that caught on fire around the brake booster. I/We have no idea what caused it as we didn't investigate it. Damage is only slight compared to your XC90 and we were told to fix the S60. However, I do kno that sum of the XC90s do have and issue with getting water into the ECU. I do NOT know if that is what caused your problem. Where did the smoke come from? Drivers or pass side?

Old 11-08-2005, 11:01 AM

The white smoke came from the driver's side. I'd be interested in hearing about anyone with the same problem, as we were told the ECU had been fixed.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Yep, thats where the ECM is, if the ECU was replaced the it still could have been an electrical issue on the wiring harness side. The tech may not have seen it or could not have seen it when he replaced ECM.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We recently had a week of rain -no problem w/ electrics so far. Is it possible that after a while seals around ECU wear out and allow water to penetrate to it?

Old 11-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: VolvoTechCMC

Yep, thats where the ECM is, if the ECU was replaced the it still could have been an electrical issue on the wiring harness side. The tech may not have seen it or could not have seen it when he replaced ECM.
I might be wrong but I thought the ECU was still under the hood. And the Cem was under the dash on the drivers side.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:44 AM

My appologies, you are correct sir. I wasnt thinking. LoL. We have had a few come in with getting wwater in the CEM, not ECM.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 AM

Ok, let me start over. Was the ECM replaced or was the CEM replaced? The CEM in under the dash-drivers side and the ECM is on pass side.-behind headlight in the black box. We currently have one in the shop now that we have replaced the CEM one time. and is back for the same problems it came in with the first time.

Awser to orig question. No, the seal should not ware out!

Old 01-20-2022, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by tgrant
We bought our XC90 D5 SE in March 2005. In August 2005, we were plagued with a series of electrical problems and the car spent about 3 weeks in all being fixed. First the ECU was replaced. Subsequently the CD player was replaced. Then there were problems with various warning lights.

In September 2005 when the car was only 6 months old, my husband was driving home. A series of warning lights came on, there was an electrical smell in the cabin and white smoke coming from under the dashboard. My husband instinctively switched off the engine and got out of the car. Within minutes the car has started itself up, the headrests had gone on fire, and within another few minutes there were 10 foot flames surrounding the car.

Volvo don't want to know as they think the insurance should pay up. We disagree as only an electrical fault could have caused the fire.

Has anyone else had the same experience, as I would like to recoup my uninsured losses from Volvo. I am also concerned that there could well be a faulty batch of Volvos out there and Volvo are burying their heads in the sand?
yes I loved my xc90 until the water leaks my passenger seat just caught fire luckily I pulled the pos battery cable and I was able to put it out but now I'm worried that it will get someone hurt or even killed

Old 06-28-2022, 12:03 PM
RKW
Default We just lost our 2011XC90 to a fire very similar to what you explained

Originally Posted by tgrant