Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

help 1999 Volvo s80 transmission service required

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help 1999 Volvo s80 transmission service required

I have this massage 1999 Volvo s80 transmission service required
any idea what does it mean?
do I have to rebuild tranny ?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 AM

usually, if it says tranny service required, it's not lying.

solenoids might be bad, clutch might be overheating or slipping, many things could be going on, I would need to know more to make any accurate assessment at all. are any emissions warnings coming on? how about drive slowly, service urgent??? you would also want to pull codes.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 PM

I have also emissin warning it shows that all O2 sensor dont work
noting say to drive slowly

Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 AM

okay, then you need a new transmission. and possibly an O2 sensor or two. pull codes to make sure there aren't any lurking problems like MAF sensor or bad modules. then try to get a transmission in there as soon as possible. any misfire?

EDIT: unless you're certified volvo mechanic and have the proper tools, i would not rebuild, there are too many rebuilt trannys that don't work right on this car for some weird reason, you have to know exactly what you're doing.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 AM

means it's time to change the fluid and filter. Volvo dealer will have to turn off the light. You can do the fluid and filter change yourself.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 AM

I dont have any misfire

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by team
means it's time to change the fluid and filter. Volvo dealer will have to turn off the light. You can do the fluid and filter change yourself.
what makes you say that ? how does the car count mileage to tell the driver when to replace the fluid ?

are you sure ? plx dont throw this poor guy for a loop to waste money on trans flush when he may need a rebuild

Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
what makes you say that ? how does the car count mileage to tell the driver when to replace the fluid ?

are you sure ? plx dont throw this poor guy for a loop to waste money on trans flush when he may need a rebuild
Probably because I have had this happen to me, had the volvo place turn off the light, and then I went and changed the fluid and filter. But you don't have to believe me, just read the following from ALLDATA and look at the part at the very bottom about resetting the transmission service required light.

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 L6-2.9L
Fluid - A/T: Testing and Inspection
Oil level, checking
WARNING! Avoid skin contact with transmission fluid.
Note! if the transmission is overfilled with oil, there may be operational problems. the oil must be filled to the correct level.
Note: Oil grade: Only ATF fluid, Dexron III (with G-license). Transmission oil, Volvo P/N 1161521-8 (1 liter container), 1161621-6 (4 liter container).

Checking the oil level
Note! Carry out the following check at an oil temperature of 85 ±5°C. Go to car communication function group 4. Select the digital display parameter. Select the parameter for the transmission oil temperature.

Preperations
-park the car on a flat surface
-apply parking brake
-let engine idle
-move gear selector to position P
-select each gear position, stopping for five seconds in each position
-move gear selector to position P

Note! Waiting two minutes before checking the level
Note! Cars with Geartronic gear selector assemblies: P-R-N-D-Man. Do not shift up in the manual positions. Cars with conventional gear selector assemblies: P-R-N-D-3-2-1. Stop for five seconds in each position.
Oil level/temperature

Maximum level hot: 85 ±5°C Minimum level hot: 85 ±5°C Caution! the oil must not exceed HOT Max WARNING! The oil is very hot. Use protective googles and gloves Caution! Is the oil above Hot Max? Extract approximately a half a liter of oil. Check the oil level. Continue extracting a half liter at a time until the oil level is below Hot Max. The oil level must be between MAX and MIN. The oil level must not exceed Hot Max.

Test drive the car
Note! After replacing the transmission oil/filter, the "Transmission Service Required" counter must be reset. Use VIDA vehicle communication to reset the counter.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 PM

again, please pull codes so we can confirm that your tranny is or isn't toast. i agree with him. don't go getting anything done till you know what's wrong. best of luck

Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

well thats interesting, can anyone confirm that alldata is referring to a mileage counter for tranny fluid ?

i say mileage since i dont see another way for it to count and tell you when to replace the fluid

Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Default Tsr light

well thats interesting, can anyone confirm that alldata is referring to a mileage counter for tranny fluid ?

i say mileage since i dont see another way for it to count and tell you when to replace the fluid
So what happened?

Old 09-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Banned

hello I have a bad leak coming from my 04 S80 T6 (4 speed auto geartronic)
I know for sure that it is coming from the o-ring at the bottom of the transmission dipstick filler tube
(And no I did not over fill.... whoever worked on this transmission before screwed up)
is there anyway of repairing this without removing the transmission....

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Thank You!

Last edited by e.mence440; 09-19-2016 at 04:30 PM.