Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Help: Remove 2004 S80 front Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Remove 2004 S80 front Door Panel

2004 S80 T6
I have tried searching many places but do not find anything specific to the 2004 model
DS door panel. I removed handle cover and both T25 screws and all the pop clips around the edge and the inner mirror cover.
The panel is loose at the bottom but TIGHT at the top like something is till holding it.
Am I missing something? I don't want to break this thing but it's not coming off easily.
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mk2sprite; 03-19-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to push it upward to release the lip that grabs the inner door panel. It fits pretty tight there and will kind of stick of it has not been off for a while.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Pretty tight? I am actually lifting the door and it is flexing the hinges. won't come off.
Any idea if it is a metal lip? If it's plastic then it will break getting this thing off.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you upload a pic of your panel?

Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Old 03-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Pry off the cover at the bottom of the grab handle in the armrest portion. There's a screw under there. Also, remove the trim around the door opener.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks
I'll try to get a look at it tomorrow in the daylight

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM

OK, Finally got the panel off, Now I need access to the window. I pulled back the membrane and can access the left side, I guess I have to remove the speaker to access the RH side. What type/size screw Is holding the speaker on? obviously something I do not have?
My goal is to replace one or both of those BLUE clips that keep the widow straight in it's track. I'm thinking I'm in trouble here
Do I need to remove the entire window and regulator to do this???

Old 03-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully EST6 will pop back in for further info on the window regulator, but I'm pretty sure the speaker housing is riveted in place, at least it was on my S60.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Yeah, me too
Riveted?? Ok that makes sense. So I guess so is the steel bar that supports the panel at the door rest area. That could use to come off for access.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Leave the speaker in place and replace the other slide block by moving the plastic grommet the wiring goes through for access.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Are there any links for instructions possibly with photos on how exactly to do this?
I can see the one block on the left (rear of door) side. Could not see how I would remove it. Can not see where the other one would go.
Thanks for all of your guidance
Mike

Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM

I was able to replace both slider clips. Now the window is worse than before.
It goes down and a little of the glass at the rear of the window remains visable.
I raise the window and about half way up it makes a loud click, and moves like something is hanging up. Then it gets very slow and stops about 3/4 way up.
I can see on the rear side of the glass it is out away from the seal around the window opening.
The lift arms are attached to the slider clips but something is way wrong here.
Before I started it would stop only about 1/2" from the top
very frustrating
Hoping for some help

Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

You might have to remove the glass and reinstall it in the guides. You also may have a bent regulator.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM

Yeah, both true.
Talk about yer trial and error type of job

Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing you have to do is get that window back in track with out the arms connected. you should be able to hold the glass with one hand on each side and slide the glass into the tracks. In order to put the arms back on the window has to be about 1/2 up if your optimist, halfway down if your pessimistic. While the window is 1/2 up you will need to line up your arms so that they meet the window tracks ( the things the blue slides fit into). At this point you can see if your arms meet the tracks STRAIGHT. If they are bent or twisted the ball will look **** eyed. hard to explain but it has to be straight and also has to have a little pressure. What I mean by pressure is the arms will sit slightly under the window track and you will have to pull them back just a tad in order to insert the ball into the blue slider. Now assuming that your arms are nice and straight and the glass is in track. Pull the metal clip from your blue slider and slide that into the track, line up the blue slider with the arm ball and squeeze the two together then insert your metal clip. do the same on the other side. Key point here is to get your arm straightened out , this can be tight, I found that needle nose pliers work pretty good for getting in there and giving you the leverage to bend the arms back to where they should be. Again get those arms to sit just slightly under the window track and look at the position of the ball ends they cannot be bent or twisted at the slightest bit or the window won't operate correctly.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM

Hi John
You are exactly right. The rear or LH side lifting arm is bent. I was able to get the window all the way up numerous times but when I go to lower it the front RH side drops down lower and screws everything up.
With the window up I can get my hand on the lifting arm where it's attached to the slider and when I hit the toggle to bring it down I can feel it flexing there.
Boy I hope I can straighten it enough to get it to work.
I can't believe how much time I have spent on this project.
Right up there on the nightmare jobs list
I am very appreciative of your advise., all who have commented
Thanks

Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I wish I was around to assist you , I have gotten really good at these. its real tight in there but you can do it !

Old 03-25-2014, 05:20 PM

Me too!! Yeah it's like most things after you do it a few times it's almost a breeze.
But boy this one takes some time to figure out.
Need a day away from it.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Well after a stretch of cold. wet weather I am back to it.
John, I straightened the lifting arm a number of times now. I have it, the rear arm so it snaps into the clip securely and seems to sit flat.
The window goes up good but when I lower it, that rear arm keeps bending, dropping the glass down at the front.
I can't figure what is causing this thing to bind and bend? Been at this WAY too long. it's amazing how precise everything needs to be here.
Now I'm thinking my new clip or clips may be already worn out? The clips seems to lock onto the ball well. At a loss right now.

Quick Reply: Help: Remove 2004 S80 front Door Panel