Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Hesitant of buying S80

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM
cuz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitant of buying S80

I am looking at purchasing a car and came across a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 w/142,xxx mi.

Needs: Tires, possibly a battery, needs moonroof fixed (won't open) and Check engine light is on (most likely O2 sensor(s))

I loved driving the car, but reading reviews and consumer reports stated it as "a car to avoid"
I checked the carfax and it was clean w/ 2 owners each having it for around 4 years each.

10,166-Brake light bulb replaced
Stabilizer bar links replaced

Suspension was "serviced" about 3 times in it's life and struts were replaced.
That's all that was on carfax as far as service records.

Coil packs and spark plugs just replaced.

I just want to know what I could be getting myself into as far as repairs and trouble even if I do really take care of it.

Advice?

Thank you,
-Ryan

Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hesitant of buying S80

it really depends on the way the car was maintained..volvo parts are among the most expensive on the market, volvo dealer service prices are out of this world too. expect to pay premium anywhere you go, one front o2 is around 300 - 350 canadian a rear o2 is 250-300 dollars and that car has 4 o2's !!!

how do you know the check engine light is an o2 ? did you get it scanned ? never guess

timing belt history is important, recalls,

i recently picked up a 99 s80 t6 it is a sweet car to drive, but knowing things about it that i know now, i would rather get a bmw 540 or an mercedez e320 in the same price range
these cars are fragile, the interiors are of some of the worst build quality (except for the super comfortable seats ;-) ), it makes up for it with its power and smooth ride, and safety, did i mention safety ? when this car came out it was the first car in the world to get 5 stars in europe and north america making it the safest car in the world

its a trade off, if you can live with high cost maintenance and crappy interior build quality and want a crazy fast and super safe car then get it

Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
cuz

The guy I would possibly buy it from has had it for 4 years and is also a mechanic, he said the check engine light flickers on and off ever so often and he said that usually is a sign of an O2 sensor, not that I'll take his word for it.

I know this was used as a highway car for him so that's a plus, but maybe a negative for me because this car would be used as all around driving. I don't live where roads are bad as far as road quality. I'm just concerned about the expensive nickel and dime costs.

Do you think if the car has 142,000mi and 2 owners that this may have better chances of going around all those expenses and trouble spots?

Do most problems typically occur early or later in it's life? i.e. before 100K or after 100K

Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 PM

problems can occur at any time regardless of mileage and age, but the older the car the more problems arise, this car eats a lot of gas too you know

Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 PM
cuz

well, how has your 99' been doing seeing how you bought it at 188k?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM

where are you located?
I have a 2000 S80 2.9 i'm selling...located in CT

Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
cuz

Wisconsin and I'm looking for the T6

Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 PM

My volvo ?

hehe my volvo is alright, small problems here and there of course, lets see in the month that ive owned it, i replaced two o2 sensors and now the check engine light is on again, but there is no message, did the recall ( software update for the electronic throttle module) interior needs a lot of work, but ill get to that in the summer, other than that its a very nice car, maintenace is crazy, this car takes 6.9 litres of oil so it cost me more to do that (besides the fact that the manual recommends the use of synthetic oil), the oil filter is a cartrige type not a can so not every place keeps it in stock, everything on this car i would say was over-engineered...

to replace the o2 sensors the instructions ask you to remove the whole exhaust from the car...me and a buddy mech managed to do it without that, but it did take longer ( 3 hours long) like everything is done extra on this car...nothing is as simple as it is on a japanese import ( im not even talking about domestic crap) ..

the good parts of this car is the strong engine, its V8-like, it growls, ( you should use premium but can get away with lower octanes, expect lower performance), the biturbo design is smart, using two smaller turbo chargers they spool up faster and there is virtually no lag, i mean this car is FAST put the throttle half way down and you are being pushed back into your seat, this is a sleeper car, meaning you are standing at a red light and some idiot on a slightly modified - whatever - pulls up (literally this car can take on anyone on the street - except old school american muscle of course) and thinks you wanna take off on him, well he thinks youre playing around cause youre on an volvo - a soccer mom's grocery getter, little did he know lol, torque steer will test your fore arm muscles so you better hit the gym now ;-)

the ride - the t6 has a firmed up suspension to keep all that power on the asphalt, its not harsh of course (mind you this IS a volvo - a soccer moms grocery getter - haha) but its firm enough for you to make some quick turns and the wide tires (my summers are some nice dunlops 225 mm wide 17" volvo rims) so that the car feels level and grips with stunning precision... on the highway is where i would say this car shines the most, you dont feel the speed, because the interior is so whisper quiet the rush of the wind in barely heard and with the stock 9 speaker stereo system i literally feel like i am floating on air...thats why i can sometimes get my self into trouble , i start going and enjoy some music, to notice im the fastest guy on the road in the far left lane blowing by people going anywhere from 120 - 140 Km/h so i slow down

another superb part of this car are the brakes... when i bought my car the whole brake system was redone... they had to replace the front rotors and all brake pads...if you jam on the brakes going at city speeds you will feel like you hit a wall, the car just grabs on to the road, thats due to the large front discs, the active ABS system and the stability control which is standard on all S80's btw, the tires are also factored in here, the more contact the rubber has with the road the more friction it can provide... i really had to adjust my driving to the brakes, the pedal works differently, at first touch its a tad soft, so you have some control over the braking distance, but keep putting your foot down and it firms up, feeling a panic situation it travels less, but stops more... hard to explain ... go a head and test drive an S80 and do some hard braking and you will see what i mean... superb

what can i say, volvo tried hard with this car... it acomplished a lot, it put its best foot forward... All occupants are surrounded by air bags, the front has bags in the sides of the seats, the front of course and there is also a curtain that stretches all the way past the rear doors. the whipflash protection system will softly move the front seats in case of a rear enf collision or in case you head is being snapped back from the force of the hit,,, but volvo also experimented with some things in this car which came out to be a hit and miss kinda deal..bottom line is, if you have never experience a top notch luxury sedan and can afford high priced maintenance ( this car is definitely not for your local full time college student with a part time job) then give the volvo a try, but if you dont fit this criteria then i say stay away and get something thats easier to work on, cheaper to maintain, i used to have a maxima and would definitely recommend one to anyone...

Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

an amazing breakdown and I cant help but agree with you on the brakes... But I took it one better, Im a full time college student who is and will remain unemployed due to my precarious status as an International Student....

Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 AM

dont buy it..... get BMW 528i or something...