Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

iPod compatibility - 2010 S80

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod compatibility - 2010 S80

Anyone know where I can see a list of compatible iPods for MY 2010 Volvos with the USB port? I have a 4th gen iPod Photo and a new s80 and I'm a little surprised that I just keep getting the unreadable message when connecting. If anyone has any suggestions, fixes, etc... please reply!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will look for a list for you, but there are known problems with ipods, dealer is best bet.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 AM

Thanks. Tried dealer... they said that there's "no update" or anything like that... We tried plugging in your iPod and it didn't work. We tried a different newer ones and it did work. Sorry, you'll just have to buy a new iPod.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM

I bought a my new S80 6T and for what I paid, I expect that the stereo system be compatible. I have read the message from Volvo to the dealer's service department which states, in short that it is the IPOD's problem and IPOD's stance is that it is Volvo's responsibility. The fact remains that I have a non-functioning car stereo in a new car. This unsatisfactory. I will give Volvo/IPOD to fix it in 30 days and then I will sell my car for a vehicle who's company can provide some customer service.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM

First, it's not iPod, there is no company call iPod, it's Apple; second, you'd really sell a car (at a huge loss) just because you cannot connect your iPod to your car. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a new iPod?

I'm not an Apple fan and the fact there is a compatability issue, doesn't shock me because of how they lock down their equipment to users.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Default IPOD Incompatabiity

Thanks for the clarification on the IPOD issue... I guess that is why there is a big "APPLE" on the back of the IPOD...genius...

Second of all, it is the software that is the problem. New or old... it does not matter. My IPOD worked like a champ "as advertised" when I first bought the car. The incompatibility issue started when the software was updated to version 4.2. At this point I can not go back and delete the new version. In accordance with the factory notice: This software is incompatible with the Volvo stereo. Buying a new IPOD will not solve the problem especially due to the fact that the 4.X software will be installed in the newer versions.

I bought the S-80 because it was a great car for the price (I got a great deal on it) the car has less than 6K miles on it. As stated before, if I buy a new car I expect it to work like a champ with no issues, at least for the first year. I have owned my car for less than 4 months and I feel that I am not unreasonable in my expectations. If at less then 6K miles this vehicle is giving me issues (not just the stereo but also the pwr steering), what other problems can I expect in the not too distant future? The situation is also exacerbated by the fact that I have to travel an hour to a dealership for service that does not provide a loaner vehicle. In my opinion it would be a huge mistake to keep a car that only give you headaches and grief and suck it up and take a monetary loss and be happy with a vehicle that works as advertised.

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr
First, it's not iPod, there is no company call iPod, it's Apple; second, you'd really sell a car (at a huge loss) just because you cannot connect your iPod to your car. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a new iPod?

I'm not an Apple fan and the fact there is a compatability issue, doesn't shock me because of how they lock down their equipment to users.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM

So basically, you're confirming that it is a software issue with the iPod, it's not the car's manufacturers fault that Apple did something to the software in 4.2 that makes it incompatible with the car.

This isn't all that different to cars that came preinstalled with a cellular connection or car phone. These are obsolete now, no one makes phones that work with these. Should the car manufacturer be required to continue to update the hardware/software to make these work? No.

In the end, do what you want, but it seems crazy to sell a car because a non-crucial feature is no longer supported due to a change in a third party manufacturer.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Default Ipod compatibility

I have a 2009 XC60 and have the same problem after upgrading the OS on an apple ipod touch. Before i upgraded the os the ipod worked properly but now i only get the message "cannot read" ( on norwegian ; "uleselig"). Tried to contact both apple support and volvo but no one can help me at the moment. Volvo are working on the problem.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Default 4th Gen iPod Nano just stopped working too

Apple must have pushed out a firmware update that reduced compatibility... My 4th gen nano just lost all the menu compatibility it had on my 2010 s80. Now I can only switch tracks on whatever was playing before it was connected to my car. Three days ago I had full control (i.e. select by playlists, artists, albums, etc...) I hate apple.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM

I've damaged two iPod Classics in two days after plugging them into my 2010 xc70. I have used my iPod classic for two years in the car's usb. Suddenly yesterday it wouldn't read the iPod. My computer wouldn't recognize it. But I could play the unit. It's out of warrantee so I purchased another one. It worked for a day. I Plugged it into to usb this morning and it worked fine. I plugged it in again later this morning and it couldn't read it. My computer couldn't find it either. I took it back to the Apple store and they gave me another iPod. Now I'm afraid to plug the new one into the car's usb port for fear of damaging it. The odd thing is my Nano works fine in the car's usb. I upgraded iTunes on 3/27 and again yeserday (i'd been ignoring the 3/27 update for a while). I think I'm going to use the nano in the car for a while. Once I've used the classic for a couple of weeks, maybe I'll try it in the car again. Has anyone heard of a problem like this?