Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Need help on replacing brakes on a 1999 S80 2.9.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help on replacing brakes on a 1999 S80 2.9.

Hi all! Long time no see! LOL

I need to get my brakes done and my BFs Cousin was going to do them for me. (As long as I get the parts he needs.)

What I want to know is which roters and brake pads sets are OEM, which ones to stay away from, and which are the best. I was thinking about getting Brembo discs and Akebono brake pad sets for the front and rear. Not really sure what to get. Currently I have Unknown rotors (I have not replaced them since I have had the car.) and BECK ARNLEY pads all the way around. I would really like something that has optimal braking but little brake dust.

Also There are two types of roters for this car, 11" and 12". I have 16" wheels and I don't know which one I need. The obvious choice is the 11" but I am not sure if that is correct.

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 PM

I replaced the front rotors/pads on my 99, 2.9 right about valentine's day (that's the best thing about not having a girlfriend! HA!)
I got the cross-drilled rotors from R1concepts- they were cheaper than anyone else and exactly what i wanted. (i strongly recommend NOT getting slotted rotors but crossdrilled are good.) r1concepts.com
as well, i got the Hawk HPS (hi-performance street) brake pads. from summitracing.com
the thing i didn't get from my buddy who recommended this setup to me was that the brake pedal was really soft for the first couple weeks. but it's starting to really come around and stop really quickly. i have to wash off like 1/4 of the dust i had to off of the OEM. i guess i went into it thinking i would have the same stopping power as the oem, (you know how OEM grab REALLY hard really quickly?--- that doesn't happen as bad anymore, which makes my friends who drive my car more happy.)- if thats what you're looking for then i recommend it. it's just not for me, and when it comes time for some new brakes for the rear brakes, i'm just gonna go to OEM pads, and might go to the new rotors.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:11 PM

LOL I would do it myself but I just don't have all of the tools. Plus I can trust myself to take out my ABS control Module because I can tighten the screws but I do not trust myself with lug nuts. I am afraid that I might not tightened them all the way and the wheel comes off or something. This guy has all of the right tools and the strength to do it.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion!

Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Default brakes for s80

Hi there..just my 2 cents on brakes.I was shocked to find out that the rear rotors wore out before the front.As told by the dealer..they do not turn rotors so I had to replace them, not at the dealer of course..went to Midas..new rotors and brake pads with life time warranty around $379..going on over 30k with them and satisfied !!

2003..S80..2.9..non-turbo..with 57 000 on it .

Last edited by vikingpwr; 04-12-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by elmo_allen
LOL I would do it myself but I just don't have all of the tools. Plus I can trust myself to take out my ABS control Module because I can tighten the screws but I do not trust myself with lug nuts. I am afraid that I might not tightened them all the way and the wheel comes off or something. This guy has all of the right tools and the strength to do it.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion!
it really doesn't take that difficult of tools. a couple of metric sockets and a rachet, (you could even do it with a cresent wrench if you wanted....) i used a rubber mallet, and a metric- i don't remember the size- allen wrench is all you really need. you just have a little confidence in yourself, and front brakes are real easy. i like saving a hundred bucks doing it by myself.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

never get cross drilled rotors or slotted rotors cause they will eat through your pads, unless you are on a track... save your money on those... the brembo rotors and akebono pads are the best you can get for the street, dont worry, you will be fine with those...

Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 AM

99volvo: Eh. The only thing that I don't have is a jack and jack stands. Other than that I have everything.

andrei3333: Yeah here is the link for the discs. They are a lot cheaper than I thought.

Brembo Front Brake Disc

Akebono Front Brake Pad Set - Euro - Ceramic

Let me know if these links don't work.

vikingpwr: Wow $379. Do you know what they put on it?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, what you need to do is check the size of your front rotors.. its usually either 11" or 12"... im lucky I have the 12's...

Once you know that, check out fcpgroton for the parts
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...168/by_year/49

Definitely recommend fcp with the free shipping, also cheaper than the above link for just about everything...
If you want to save trouble you can buy the kit that comes with everything...
If you do it piece by piece, definitely go with the brembo rotors and akebono euro pads..

Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Default elmo_allen

I made sure the rotors are not made in China..can't remember but they were made in Europe ,Dutch or Belgian made..good luck

Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.