Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S80
Reload this Page >

Need some radio advice? Full Size replacement possible?

Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Need some radio advice? Full Size replacement possible?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Default Need some radio advice? Full Size replacement possible?

Guys seeing how I'm keeping my car for at least another two years (just rebuilt the trans) I am looking to upgrade my radio in my S80 T6. It has the HU-601 unit.

I currently am using a headphone to tape deck adapter to use my Iphone in the car for the radio. The tape deck is now starting to change sides from A to B more frequently. My wife asked if I would be able to upgrade it or replace it.

If I'm going to upgrade I want to go all out blue tooth for my iphone and one that would have a headphone jack on the front of the radio. Any rate, my big question is this.

Anyone ever upgrade the radio and did you run into issues? Wiring harness wise? I know allot runs thru the radio which baffles me.

Also anyone able to get a flush mount full size say DVD screen touch style radio to help fill the void of the double din?

Thanks for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it.
Spankey

Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by spankey View Post
Guys seeing how I'm keeping my car for at least another two years (just rebuilt the trans) I am looking to upgrade my radio in my S80 T6. It has the HU-601 unit.

I currently am using a headphone to tape deck adapter to use my Iphone in the car for the radio. The tape deck is now starting to change sides from A to B more frequently. My wife asked if I would be able to upgrade it or replace it.

If I'm going to upgrade I want to go all out blue tooth for my iphone and one that would have a headphone jack on the front of the radio. Any rate, my big question is this.

Anyone ever upgrade the radio and did you run into issues? Wiring harness wise? I know allot runs thru the radio which baffles me.

Also anyone able to get a flush mount full size say DVD screen touch style radio to help fill the void of the double din?

Thanks for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it.
Spankey
Kenwood makes a nice dvd double din touch screen unit with inputs and built for ipod controls when plugged in with the correct cable.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM

Thank you! I'm looking at the kenwood dxx616. I'd like best buy to install it but fear they might mess something up. Will I need new software for the car put in from the dealer?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Ops mean ddx616

Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by spankey View Post
Thank you! I'm looking at the kenwood dxx616. I'd like best buy to install it but fear they might mess something up. Will I need new software for the car put in from the dealer?
I would not trust bait-and-switch-buy to my installation but your mileage may vary on that. It would be worthwhile to hunt down the Volvo double din mounting kit which will be a much better match with the rest of the dash plastic. My installer did a fair amount of work to the Volvo mounting kit to get it to all fit and mentioned that the HD tuner is a bit of a squeeze to find space for inside the dash without interfering with the car's original equipment.

No software changes were needed for my 2000 S80